Audi Forums banner

181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
MMI Issues

Got my car back and this is what Audi UK told my dealer as well

As my wheel alignment was well out they paid for that no problem but Audi UK refuse to pay for new tyres. My dealer, bless them, weren't happy about this and have registered a complaint higher up the chain so I guess we'll have to see what comes of that.

My PDC is working fine now, I have all new sensors but the monkeys have left some oil stains in the boot and passenger well :mad: so there's going to hell to pay fot that.

MMI is still broken....looks to me that these dealers don't really understand the "computer" side of stuff and this whole MMI system has to be looked at by an external company so it's off there shortly.

I'll keep you guys posted on the tyres progree but my advice to anyone getting a new Q7 is to have the alignment checked ASAP to avoid any costly problems later

Si
Had similar problem with my Q7. The dealer here in the USA, changed out the MMI panel and the telephone control module for $1800.00 all is working perfectly, but the Audi people should be shot for installing cup holders over such sensative equipment. The dealer will blame you for spilling liquids
over the MMI control panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all....

34000 views on this thread, tells its own story!!! There is obviously an underlying problem with the car?

I have owned a Q7 for 2.5 yrs now......40k miles driven in those yrs and now on my 4th set of tyres.

At 1st, after 4k miles we went back to the Audi dealership, who reluctantly changed the front tyres......on the 2nd return to the dealership the driving style of my wife was to blame!!! 30 mph on the school run!! I paid for the tyres myself, £250 each!

I have tried all makes of tyres, Michelin, dunlop and Goodyear....the result is the same......THE OUTSIDE 20CM OF THE TYRE DEGRADES AND LEADS TO NEW TYRES REQUIRED AFTER 8K TO 12K.....this is quite appalling for a car which cost me £42000. For that sort of money, why should I be checking tyre pressure every week? what a complete nonsense position to be in.

Forget Audi UK.....they are useless....all the excuses in the world.

Maybe a group decision here for an independent legal review of the car would put the matter to rest once and for all?

Has anyone thought about contacting Watchdog?

The agony of tyres continue.

Matt.
West Yorkshire. UK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Q7 3.0 TDi - at 42k & still only the 2nd set of tyres !!

This is 27,000 miles on the same set of tyres, and still the front corners have 1.6mm of tread (middle ~3mm). Rears unworn. Now at 42,400 miles having put 274/45 20" Cooper Zeon XST, replacing all the originals after 15,000.

The Cooper tyres feel like the Wranglers on my Discovery 3, so more insulating on bad roads, a little less sporty although no more tyre noise really despite the chunky tread. They were "only" £560 for four, fitted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
On my second set of Goodyears at 45k miles. First set lasted only 11k but she-who-must-be-obeyed was driving around town like it was aracing car. I fit winter tyres from Nov to Mar/Apr (approx 5+k miles each winter) so that gives me around 20k on this second set. They are wearing - no doubt about that - but I don't drive it hard on the twisty stuff but do some fairly high speed runs to Italy in it - and it is superb for doing that.

My winter tyres seem to still be brand new (over 10k miles done in them) but importantly I don't need new brake pads or discs yet either - how is everyone else doing for pads and discs btw?

My tyre pressure I set at 42 all round - a tadge hard but the seats are comfortable enough to compensate. I also set the drive to dynamic - permanently - maybe that helps :)

As for the car - won't be swapping it anytime soon - far to comfortable and it has all the toys on that I want - and superchips to make it a bit livlier - al in all a grand car.

Moral may be to go slowly(ish) around corners and boot it up the straights - where it goes quite well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sportingmac,

Tyres - Great to hear your tyres are wearing well too.
Pads and disks - changed pads at 32k (had them done at an independent for £180). Disks didn't need doing.
Superchips - sounds great, any issues ?

Simon

·
Registered
30 Posts
No issues at all with the Bluefin - easy to install and easy to de-install for service etc. Only issue that is easily cured is sometimes the keys get 'locked' into teh ignition but just push a small pin into the pinhole where the ignition key goes and hey presto out come the keys - if you need to - but I did try following teh instructions more closely lately and have no issues at all. It even has a diagnostics setting - so you can see what faults the Audi VAG system sees - and you can reset these vakues if you need to - for tracking etc - give Superchips a call - they will explain all.

Real difference is in driveability - whilst the normal car is good the superchips version is just so much more.....:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just changed my tyres after 36,000km of use and they probably had another 5,000km left in them. They were Sumitomo Sport HP 275 45 20. Good tyre although became noisey (maybe from ongoing alignment issues).

I've just fitted new Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus tyres which are supposed to have a 60,000km warranty. Reviews on the internet look pretty good. I think the fact that the Q7 is a bit of a tank it's probably wise to go American.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is A Well Known Issue

I have had my Q7 almost since they launched in the UK. And before I start yes its a great car. Tyre wear though is a real problem. Its known about throughout Audi UK as they have had thousands of complaints from virtually every new Q7 owner. So don't believe anyone in a dealership who says "they will need to look into it as its not something they have not come across before" or words to that effect.

Its not your driving style or tyre pressure (as longs as its approx correct) they just wear because of the way Audi has set the car up to help handling. Whether this is needed is a mute point as other big 4*4 like range rovers don't have tyre wear problems, but then again then don't handle quite as well as a Q7.

The only thing I have found is that Bridgestone tyres do seem to be better than Goodyear (these were the tyres that came with Q7's when they launched in the UK) at least.

My first set of tyres even went back to Goodyear for analysis since at that point it was something very new and only breaking news, so to speak. They were most upset that Audi were blaming drivers as it was immediately clear to them it was the car's set-up. There were I believe several conversations at senior levels between the two firms.

I got my first set replaced for free, but I don't think Audi do that any more as it was costing them a fortune.

Anyway hope this helps those of you that are new owners.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi all i was getting 6-8k on my 20 tyres changed to 22" and a harder tyre compound which was reccomended and iv done 6k and there very little sign of wear also i had 4 way laser allighment done

hope this makes sense to some one

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is an extremely interesting thread.

In my case, I'm currently considering purchasing a new Q7 as my 'grey nomad' car. Which means that it will be driven all over Australia. From what I'm seeing here, just doing one lap, would require me to preposition a set of tyres in Darwin, then another in Perth. Basically, this tread is saying that the Q7 is not suitable for this sort of use (even though it would all be on very good tarmac). If it was an AMG 6.3 I could perhaps understand, but it isn't. It's simply a reasonably standard (for want of a better term) SUV.

I've owned numerous cars over the years, some of which have had a liking for soft, low mileage tyres. But, they were genuine performance cars, and even then, they always wore the tyres evenly. The only times I've ever seen the sort of uneven wear that you're all describing here it has been associated with incorrect suspension settings.

I guess the upshot is that I should consider another brand.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I bought a 57 plate Q7 in May 2010, 4 brand new 21" Pirelli Rosso's fitted by the dealership. I have now done 15K of hard driving on these tyres, no sign of uneven wear, but they are close to needing to be replaced. Probably about another 2k left on them. Not brilliant, but better than what I expected. My car has had the suspension mod carried out, I drive on high pressure settings for full load (I do carry a lot of kit) and I leave the suspension in auto mode all the time.

I've also had to replace the rear pads after 12K, which is abit annoying.

I was quite reluctant to buy a Q7 after all the horror stories I had read about tyres and it ss going to cost me about £1100 every 4-5 months, but the S8 I owned before that was pretty much the same on tyres. 20K or so then needing replacing.

I've owned 5 other brands of 4WD SUV's and never had to replace the tyres on them and very rarely the brake pads. But again this is supposed to be a performance/sports SUV and not a true 4WD like the landcruisers/troopers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having now done some 30k kilometer with the summer tires, they are still in good conditions, assuming they will at least do another 15-20k. Although some fast 'Autobahn' use :D
It seems that V8-Q7 have a different setup and /or suspension - most of the tire problems I have heard of affect the 3.0 TDI engines. Maybe the 3.6 as well, but they are hardly sold in Germany. I have AAS build in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 57 plate Q7 in May 2010
I read about cars with various number plates, i.e. your 57. What does that mean? In Oz a car will be described by its year of manufacture, or by its model number, but that's it. I'm sure you didn't buy the 1957 model.

My car has had the suspension mod carried out, I drive on high pressure settings for full load (I do carry a lot of kit) and I leave the suspension in auto mode all the time.
What is the suspension mod?

I've also had to replace the rear pads after 12K, which is abit annoying.
There are alternatives from the aftermarket, so the cost won't have to be the Audi OEM pricing.

I've owned 5 other brands of 4WD SUV's and never had to replace the tyres on them and very rarely the brake pads. But again this is supposed to be a performance/sports SUV and not a true 4WD like the landcruisers/troopers.
But your S8 was a genuine performance car, and the chewing gum tyres are needed to maximise the experience. It would be horrid with hard, cheapies, on board. But, the performance/sports side of the Q7 is more in marketing than anything else. There are any number of SUVs with similar output to the Q7 (ok, perhaps not the V8s, but they are prohibitively expensive here). I've had my share of sports sedans too, and the only times I've ever experienced wear on the outside of a tyre it was associated with lousy adjustment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am sorry if what I am about to ask is a repeat but this thread is getting soooo long...but good.

I am about to acquire a Q7 3.0 tdi. The vehicle was sat in its splendor on the forecourt on 4 slicks, which prompted me to do some research on the tyre (tire) wear problems and the correct spelling of tyre (tire) but thats for another day.

My questions revolve around the way the vehicle suspension is aligned. This car goes up and down on its air suspension about 60mm. This must affect the camber setting. If you check alignment high (which I believe is the Audi recommendation, sorry not got the vehicle yet so not sure what this corresponds to on the MMI) at speed it lowers and probably increases its camber significantly toe-in probably remains unchanged. I am sure it is a camber issue as most tires wear dead smooth on outside edge. I intend to ask my alignment garage if they can tell me how adjusting height is affecting the alignment. Dynamic position seems to be closest to the high speed height but I think this may still be 25mm higher. Can we adjust camber on this vehicle? and what height should we align at?

Thanks for a great thread, I fully intend to up my pressures above the 40 psi mark, My existing car A8 4.2Q 2002 on 20" runs on 44 psi all round - I doubt the Q7 will hurt that much over the pot-holes in the UK!

For those interested the UK licence plate start with two letters which sort of designate the area, then two numbers the first can be a 0 - march or 5 - september followed by the year so MA57 ABC would be Manchester, September 2007, ABC are random letters. in 2010 it all went wrong so we are now at MA60ABC as MA50ABC has already been used. Any guesses as to what is next, probably MA11ABC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
tyres

done over 10,000 on my replacement tyres on my q7 and tyres look new with plenty tread. tyre brand are general grabbers

·
Registered
2 Posts
While in the market for a Q7, and not yet an owner, I decided to read the forums to find out what issues, if any, actual Q7 owners were experiencing.

Reading this forum, I have a few simple questions...
1. It seems if tyre or tire wear is a problem for the Q7s patrolling the freeways of the UK. Is this true?
2. What brand of tyre or tire does your Q7 come with upon delivery?
3. Do you think the composition of the trye or tire has anything to do with it?
I mean the Q7 is a really heavy car, isn't it?

Lastly I live in the US, does any US drivers have issues with tyre or tire wear?

Thanks in advance, Wil
I just check the tread on my Q7 (Original Factory Tires), the front tires are 6/32 inside, center and outside, my rear tires are 7/32 inside, center and outside. I currently have 28,212 miles and live in the Southwest where the weather stays at 100 degrees or hotter most of the summer. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just changed my Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics 275/45 R20 after 21,000 miles on 2007 4.2TDi. Even wear across treads on all four tyres.

Ran the whole time with raised tyre pressures set for full load (see inside fuel filler cover) and suspension set to Dynamic. Also had 4 wheel alignment carried out before fitting them after reading horror stories.

I'm happy with 21k, as I barely get that from my 3.0 A4 quattro, or Fabia VRS.

Common themes through this thread seem to be that higher pressures decrease wear, and 4.2 seems to give better wear than 3.0.

It makes sense to me that the higher pressure would allow the centre of the tyre tread to bear more of the cars weight and take wear away from the edges of the treads, which is where most posts report the accelerated wear is occurring?

181 - 199 of 199 Posts