Audi Forums banner

161 - 180 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had exactly that problem and the alignment was done once at 7000 miles. I had two sets of tyres in 20,000 miles as they averaged a bit less than 10k each set.
However, after reading the forums and pumping up to 40psi to 42psi as a minimum and maximum and opting for budget Maxxis tyres instead of original Conti and then Pirelli, I find that the current set appears to be less than half worn at 10,000 miles. Result. And look at what I paid for them!
Have you got the 21" 7 spoke alloy wheels , as i only thought you could only have Dunlop SP Sports max on this wheel option ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you got the 21" 7 spoke alloy wheels , as i only thought you could only have Dunlop SP Sports max on this wheel option ?

Mine are 255/55Y18. Go here and you can search for your tyres.
Premium brands of tyre in my size are available for well under £150 a corner fitted including VAT.

For your size I think there is a Pirelli as well. Personally I'd consider buying a set of wheels so that you can fit a more practical size where the choice of brands is greater and the competition keener. There's nothing wrong with the size I've got. Ultra low profile tyres like yours are almost always prone to extreme or uneven wear in my experience. That along with a rougher ride and greater noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had similar problems - front set gone at 11K and rears at 15K on the original dealer supplied brand (pirelli I think). Speaking to the local independant tyre fitter he recommended General Grabbers (a US SUV tyre) and I have had those put on both front and rear at the mileages above. I am now on 37K and in no danger of needing new boots anytime soon! The best bit is the Generals are fittted for £140 each as opposed to around £250 for the originals. As with most other peoples experiences, Audi weren't interested and basically said it was normal so live with it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello Gents,

I'm new to this forum, and found this very interesting thread. In Germany we have a Q7-Forum, discussing exactly the same tyre problems as you over here.

Audi denies that it is a construction problem, they even deny knowledge about a tyre-problem. German television intended to send a broadcast about it, but that was withdrawn, reason unclear up to now.

How is the situation in US and UK? Is Audi cooperating? Any legal attempts going on?

I appreciate any kind of information on this topic.

Thanks,
Ax

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer told me on Friday to run my Q7 with the standard 18inch wheels at 45 psi and I would get a lot more tyre life out of them.

He told me that the car it a brake and tyre eater.

I guess it is all how you drive it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is anyone having issues with premature tyre wear? My Q7 has done 5000 miles, the front tyres are wearing on the outer edge and have only got 2000 miles left according to my local ATS. I Took it in to my local Audi dealer they carried out a full re-alignment and told me that Audi are looking into the problem. I have a friend who is also having the same problem with his Q7, he has been told exactly the same as I have but he has had to now pay to replace his front tyres after 8000 miles which is not very good.
Hi I had the same problem on my Q7 which has now done 11000 miles. At around 9000 miles it needed the front 2 tyres replaced but luckily my local dealership only charged me 50% of the cost as the car had done less than 12000 miles. They also did a laser allignment check on it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have had similar problems - front set gone at 11K and rears at 15K on the original dealer supplied brand (pirelli I think). Speaking to the local independant tyre fitter he recommended General Grabbers (a US SUV tyre) and I have had those put on both front and rear at the mileages above. I am now on 37K and in no danger of needing new boots anytime soon! The best bit is the Generals are fittted for £140 each as opposed to around £250 for the originals. As with most other peoples experiences, Audi weren't interested and basically said it was normal so live with it.
Update. The front set of Generals went on to 50K before being changed - Quids in!

·
Registered
1 Posts
And do you think that they will do this for the second, third, seventh, twelfth set?
Quite interestingly, I only got me an '08 model Q-7 S-line off a dealer in Feb this year, with all re-fitted tyres (I wonder how many tyre changes the car had in the year before I picked it). Currently lost all external threads (1" - 1-½" outside - in) on both front wheels after about 2500 miles on the road. Half of this mileage was on the motor/free way. I have heard of "GOOD WILL" offers and "WARRANTY COVERS" being quoted as being out of limits, when discussions on replacement arise. What seems clear to me is this is being pushed to me by the dealer. Will be looking forward to see the end of this when I am back to base.........From this forum, I observed useful solutions, better than anything muted by Audi so far. At least they could warn prospective buyers of this hidden fact.

Still luv the car, but I am really pissed with the dealers :mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok, I got a puncture on the weekend I and have to replace the tire. Here is the bad and good news. Bad news I have to put 2 tires on the because the original tire is not available anymore.

Good news is that Goodyear have stopped making the original tire that came on the car. They have had so many complaints about it that they have stopped production on it.

I am going to put 2 Pirelle Scorpion on it as I have been told that they have a good life span and work well on the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dunlop 295/35 R21

I have just bought a new Q7 S-Line Black-Black and I love the car, but I cannot find any information in the owners manual and there is no sticker on the inside of the petrol cap. The car is fitted with Dunlop 295/35 R21 tyres and I thought that the web would be the best source of information, I am now alarmed to find out that there is a serious issue with tyre wear. Can someone advise what is the best suspension setting in conjunction with the tyre pressures for extended life? I do like the dynamic setting (after my first 150Km!) but would like some advice.

I apologise if the info is mentioned on one of the previous pages.

I have been driving Range Rover Supercharged models for the past four years so and have averaged 35-40K for a set of tyres.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I won't say there is a serious problem with tyre wear I'd just say they wear our quick.

I have the 21" rims and in the petrol flap there is the tyre pressures.

I would expect about 15k miles out of a set if you rotate them, have them aligned and check the pressures regularly.

Si

·
Registered
2 Posts
I won't say there is a serious problem with tyre wear I'd just say they wear our quick.

I have the 21" rims and in the petrol flap there is the tyre pressures.

I would expect about 15k miles out of a set if you rotate them, have them aligned and check the pressures regularly.

Si
Thanks for the above, can you indicate what pressures you apply and what suspension setting you normally select?

I saw a suggestion on a blog stating 40F and 42R.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'll check the pressures today but they sound about right.

The suspension spent most of the 60k miles set to sport ( is that active or something ) but the last 20k miles and currently I'm using automatic.

Si

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am running on 295-35 21" and are having a complete nightmare . After having a front set of tyes go completely bald after only 3k !!! i had a full geometry test done last december and had to put on 4 new tyres at a cost of £1200. After 7 months and only 7k the rears were completly shot . After having massive arguments with both Audi UK and local Audi dealers they all said that as the tyres were wearing evenly there is nothing they can do. They told me to change from Mitchellin to Continentals which i took there advice and did. I have been checking tyre pressures weekly and my wife drives the car very carefully but after only 3 months and barely 3k the rears are already starting to go again, the fronts are on 10k and have got at least another 2-3k left on them. This is a complete nightmare my car is just 2 years old and i have already put 2 stes of tyres on it and will need to replace the fronts in December and the rears by prob next Feb. I have only done 24k. Has anyone else got a problem with the rears going this quick and especially the passenger side rear. I am going to try and contack Audi UK again but fear i will have a big battle on my hands. Can anyone out there please help !!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tyre wear

I've been having the tyre wear probs with the standard Dunlops on the 21" rims like most of you and I've also had the people at Audi tell me that it's how I drive and that I should check the tyre pressures more regularly. The most offensive thing is the attitude I get from the service people there - perhaps they need a bit of vorsprung durch technik on customer service!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post on this site, I don't drive an Audi, or own one. I own a tire shop here in California and have run into this problem as well. So like most of the questions that have been asked, here is mine. Customer has a 2008 Q7 3.6, original tires 295/35/21 Dunlop Sport Maxx they went 24000k miles.Replaced tires with Conti Contack UHP they are at 14000 miles, and are still on the car and need replacement 3/32 current. I see lots of alignment checks,air pressure checks,rotations,most never do this one. So the question is what tire have you found that works???? Bridgestone? not a chance,PIRELLI PZERO ROSSO, not much better and the Yok s drive??? way over priced! Not many options left. Any help and thanks for letting me ramble on

·
Registered
4 Posts
Front near tyre wear

Hi Guys, greetings from Oz
well 25Km and the outside edge has gone on the front nearside tyre. The Audi centre in Melbourne told me they have had a lot and I was luck the front nearside tyre lasted so long and reading your posts it looks about right.
I had the alignment checked and even tho it is within the manufacturers tolerances - the service reception manager confirmed that the nearside front tyres go all the time.
Has anyone managed to get Audi to pay towards this?
Cheers Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is anyone having issues with premature tyre wear? My Q7 has done 5000 miles, the front tyres are wearing on the outer edge and have only got 2000 miles left according to my local ATS. I Took it in to my local Audi dealer they carried out a full re-alignment and told me that Audi are looking into the problem. I have a friend who is also having the same problem with his Q7, he has been told exactly the same as I have but he has had to now pay to replace his front tyres after 8000 miles which is not very good.
I have had similar issues. Tyre wears on outer edges after 6000 kms. Audi has told me they recommend a change of tyre. The old Q7 (up to 2010) have the Michelin as standard. They recommend the Goodyear Eagle. This tyre has a better tread pattern across the whole tyre. The old Michelin are still ok as the law says 60% needs to have the 2mm. In most cases the wear is only on the outer edges.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I currently have 75,000 miles on my Q7 on my 3rd set of tires. The latest installed 275/45/20 Pirellis Scorpion STR almost 25,000 miles out of them

161 - 180 of 199 Posts