1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

im looking at getting a HID kit for the B6 --

Seen this on ebay..

eBay.co.uk: NEW XENON LIGHT HID CONVERSION KIT H1,H4,H7,6004,6005 (item 150030928239 end time 14-Sep-06 23:45:00 BST)

Any one ever fitted one of these kits or silmair kit??

if so please can you advise if its worth the cash and installtion??

Is the end result just like HID's??

is there any risk invloved due to the extra power these require??

do you take the power from the exisitng wires or have a run a new wire from the battery for an increase power supply?

Also this kit states 2 options 4300K or 6000k, where as some other kits online are 9000K

Currenty i have some Philips blue vison which were good blubs... now changing them hence why thinking HID..

OR.... any one know of any very good H7 bulbs with Xenon look or with a higher output???

If you have any other feedback which may help please advise

Cheers

Rickt

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also just thinking.... do you think some 6000k bulbs will look too blue???

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am thinking of the same for my new A6 (C6).

First of all, I think 6000k and even 8000k will give the same level of 'blueness' as factory fit HID kits. Anything above 8000k will start to look too blue, or even purple. If you go as low as 4300k, then these will be the same colour as standard halogen bulbs (albeit much brighter).

I was thinking of 8000k personally.

However, on reading some posts on this (and other) forums, I've heard that fitting these HID kits can upset the bulb failure detection system in the cars. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I think it could be an issue.

I've done a bit of research into these lights, and the wiring seems to be pretty straightforward. You will need to make a new connection to the battery, and also a new connection to earth. However, the HID ballast kit has an input from the original headlight bulb connector which controls the on/off function of the light.

Contrary to poular belief, your car WILL still pass its MOT with these kits fitted. Headlight washers (although mine already has these) and self-levelling units are only required if the HID units are factory fitted original equipment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got 7000k Helio's. They are rediculous. I don't even use highbeams anymore and they are crystal blue in color. I would highly recommend them, and they aren't that difficult to install.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice one.... any chance of a photo from under the bonnet/hood to see how you have fixed/wired them in place etc....??

Rickt

·
Registered
11 Posts
its not that hard .. take off the head light put the bulb in and cut a hole in the plactic cover that covers the head light then put it back done i can get u a set of hids if u want i work for a shop

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd be very interested too - how much are your kits?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah.... have you got a link to the HIDS you can get with a price...???

Also i dont have washer jets on my car..... with having HIDs normally from the factory washer jets come as standard,,,, i know your ment to have the washer jets to keep the glass clean due to the heat generated from the bulbs...

Can you fit washer jets on the B6 as after market??

Cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thats about £130-140. I guess that is about the same as they are going for on ebay.

I still have concerns about the 'blown bulb' detection. Anyone know if this will be an issue, or do they work OK with no side effects?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$320 i take it??

seems alot.. compared to whats on ebay.... and i know before you say it... you get what you pay for??

Are there any reviews about on these??

Rickt

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also one other thing......

Are the headlights the same ie same part number for HID and non HIDs??

reason i ask is that these HID after markets units let off a lot of heat and i want to make sure that the headlights will take the heat..

are the Audi factory fitted headlights a stronger plastic??

Cheers.

i

1 - 18 of 18 Posts