Audi Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of the last B6 A4's. It had a heap of options installed on it, some I only found out later. My daughter tells me when I come hom at night that the headlights look white with a blue tinge. Could they be Xenon lights. If so, are there any physical characteristics that distinguish them from standard headlights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Might just be the projector headlights...
Sometimes the normal headlights get a blue tinge if you look at them from a certain angle....

Xenons are very bluey / white...

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOL... these people have no idea what xeonx are!!!
xeonx use a hid bulb which is almost 3 times briter and longer lasting then the average halogen bulbs found in most domestic vehicles.. hid's/xeonx give you a crisper cut off line and the light is extremly brite on the road... you can find out if you have them by lookin in your manual for your car and look at replacement bulbs... since we have projectors see if the replacement bulbs are d2s or d1s.. if they are then you do have xeonx and should be extremely happy....

for more info on hid technology visit www.hidplanet.com/forums/
they will let you know how much xeonx/hids own halogen bulbs!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm familiar with HID technology. The manual makes no mention of the globes used in the car and I have no intention of taking the lights apart just to check the globes. The lights have a very sharp cutoff line but I suspect that is due to the lens system on the lowbeam.

Wil check it out with the service guys at its first service.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
you can also run your VIN number with audi and they'll be able to give you a complete listing of that packages your car came with. xenon lights would also be on the option list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are 3 ways you can check without going to the dealer:

1. The color should be white with a bluish tint.

2. With your headlight turned on, pull on the windshield washer for 5 seconds. Check your headlight, if it's wet, then it has headlight washers that only come with the Xenon headlights. Or, check the rectangular covers in front of each headlight. If thery are flush, then you have Xenon.

3. At night with engine off, turn on your hadlights, then your engine. If the headlights appear to go up, down and level, then you have Xenons. Only xenons have self leveling headlights.

I hope this helps.

Ben

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
when u turn on your head lights do they start to fade on
if so u got some HIDs
do you have auto leveling for your headlights

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Originally posted by AllWheelGrip@Jul 6 2005, 07:00 PM
if so u got some HIDs
audi does not offer HID lighting.. xenon only. The lighting package comes with the compass mirror, auto-dim mirrors, rain sensing whipers and headlight washer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Regarding the options on the car, it was an end of model B6 and has an eclectic collection of options fitted including auto lights, self dimming and folding mirrors, memory electric sports seats as well as the more ubiquitous sports suspension, leather, sunroof etc.

It doesn't have self levelling lights, only the interior adustable units, and no headlight washers.

The lights are probably the standard lights (and do the job nicely) but I was just curious if there was a definitive method for determining whether they were fitted.

thanks anyway

Milo

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
call audi of america and have them run your VIN in their system. they can pull up exactly what options were insalled on your car. they can also email or fax you a copy of the dealer window sticker just like it came from the dealer at the time of purchase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in Australia, Audi are not big sellers here so there's only 1 small dealership in my state. I presume they will be able to check it out for me. Will do so at its first service (due next April).

thanks for the suggestion.

M

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by 40ventiller@Jul 6 2005, 11:09 AM
2. With your headlight turned on, pull on the windshield washer for 5 seconds. Check your headlight, if it's wet, then it has headlight washers that only come with the Xenon headlights. Or, check the rectangular covers in front of each headlight. If thery are flush, then you have Xenon.

I have headlight washers, and I don't think I have xenon lights. I don't think the washers were only for the xenons.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi

if you are in australia and have no headlight washers or self leveling of the lights which is what you have said then you most definatly do not have xenon lights

it is an adr requirement for xenon lights to be self leveling.

too bad as the xenons are a good thing

horsch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have xenons on my A4, again an end of line model with loads of options fitted.

1. The light switch has an 'Auto' selection between 'off' and sidelights. I believe this was only fitted in conjunction with xenons.

2. The dashboard is fitted with a 'follow me home' on/off selector (fog lights and rear lights stay on for around 20 secs).

3. When you switch lights on they raise up then drop down again (self leveling).

4. Compare colour of lights against other cars (older ones, not Mercs and BMWs as they may have xenons too!) you should be able to tell xenons as they are whiter with a blue tinge. Also, other cars in comparision have a yellowy tinge.

Hope this gives you some clues!

Markee

·
Registered
180 Posts
I have the auto and follow me home facilities but dont have xenons
You can only tell the difference due to colour or when they first switch in as they come on with a flicker, usually

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
who cares, sell me them ill take the problem off your hands :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
it is more than a hint of blue, it is mainly blue with a hint of white

1 - 19 of 19 Posts