Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Audi 5000s non turbo 5cyl I have changed the fuel distubter,injectors injector lines ,fuel filter,fuel acculator,fuel regulator, plugs plug wires coil air intake boot all vacum lines I could find also replaced the fuel pump relay will start an run for about 1 min then dies when i turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump for a few secounds are or can you hear the fuel pump all the time? please someone help with this I also replaced the master cycl and all brake lines and calp and replaced the trany and the altanator and timining belt the problem started when the trany was replaced and the mec that done that ran it out of gas and it hasnt ran right since. The fuel pump relay isnt the one with the fuse to check codes so I cant check codes

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have an 84 5000 turbo with a electrical problem im trying to fix i also have a problem with my fuel pump relay and was told it could be related to my ignition key or could have somthing to do with the wiring in the transmison my car allso wont keep a charge not sure if urs dos but it causes my car to run for only a min or two also not sure how ur makin out with ur problem but any help u would have on this subject would be apriciated

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it might be the Hall sensor in the spark distribter. I am going to check that this sat 04\08\2006 will let you know what i find

Originally posted by jrb7185@Apr 6 2006, 09:00 PM
i have an 84 5000 turbo with a electrical problem im trying to fix i also have a problem with my fuel pump relay and was told it could be related to my ignition key or could have somthing to do with the wiring in the transmison my car allso wont keep a charge not sure if urs dos but it causes my car to run for only a min or two also not sure how ur makin out with ur problem but any help u would have on this subject would be apriciated

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello, The fuel pump shouldnt run all the time on this type of set up, when you turn the key to the run position you should hear a brief pump cycle and then nothing more. The pump only runs all the time at load and is activated by the starter motor. I have seen these pumps do this sort of thing alot at the shop, and we somtimes refer to them as lazy pumps, where they sometimes work for a bit then cut out ect... and more times then not it is caused by a poor conection under the hood, I have seen it to be relays,the ignition line connections and parts, and the very wire that supplys the powere to the pump itself.

To help confirm this you can have a helper tap the pump from the top side in the trunk where you will see the top of the fuel pump with the handle of a wood hammer (or somthing that will not conduct and make an arc at the power connections) while you crank the car over.

You can also run a 12 volt power lead to the power terminal of the fuel pump itself and start the car this way if it stays running ( or starts from a no start condition) you can be fiarly positive it's somewhere in the electrical system and the pump itself is NOT at fault. If you use this method however be sure not to hook up power to the pump and then go out for lunch as you most likely will come back to find the pump dead, or getting way too hot. Just hook it up and run the car, when done un-hook your temp powr wire.

Hope any of this gives a little idea of the pump's trouble area's and how they run, most likely though the trouble is ellectrical. Good luck and feel free to email me for more info questions ect..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts