Audi Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2003 A4 quattro, just bought in Sept.
Thought I was just out of windshield wiper fluid- but no indicator light came on. Topped off the fluid but still have nothing coming out of the wiper jets. I already checked the fuse. I am suspecting the washer pump may have gone bad- anyone have this experience?
Car only has 45,000 miles on it and it was pre-certified. Seems odd for something like that to go bad so soon.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My A4 quatro is a 2002 and has approx 75,000 kms and was also certified on purchase (I am second owner). Since you have checked your fuses, I suggest that you first determine whether you can hear the pump attempting to run (ingnition switch turned on without engine running) while having someone else activating the wiper switch as you listen over the water tank. If you can hear the motor then your line may be plugged, in which case you can disconnect the line from the pump and use air to blow the line out from the sprayer head back .... don't just blow the line out back into the water tank for obvious reasons. If no motor sound is heard, then your pump is in need of replacement (audi adivised me that this part is not under warranty in my case .... however, you should double check in your case). The pump runs about $75 and is easily replaced. If you are unable to locate a 'how-to' description on the net, let me know and I will discribe it for you.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for the info Bones- I will do what you suggested and see if I can get it figured out. Hopefully it's just a clogged line. If not I plan on buying the pump and will definitely seek your advice on the replacement.
Best regards,
Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
Provided that it is not a plugged line (I suspect that it is NOT plugged), ensure that you first check the possibility of a warranty replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Pitman,
Did you get this sorted out? I have the exact same problem.

How did you figure out what fuse was gone?
Actually where are the fuses stored on an A4?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, I had the same thing happen to me today. I thought the line was frozen, but fluid shot out and then the pump just died. Neither the lamp jets or the windshield jets work. What is strange is that it was working as I depressen the stick on the steering wheel and then it died. THe car was frozen when I did it though.

Where are the fuses in the 2004 A4? I have just over 50K on mine, so it's out of warranty...

THanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine was the fuse, the fuse box is in the side panel on the drivers side of the dash.
There is a little slot to slip a flat head screw driver into to pop it out.
The fuse was no 37 on the grid, a 30A fuse.

All this is detailed in your manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ACE,
If it's not your fuse and the pump is dead- if you have an extended warranty they will cover it. That is what my dealer told me- as mentioned, there was a $50 deductible on the extended warranty I have but the dealer didn't charge me anything for repairing it. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay, so I went to the dealer and got a fuse yesterday. The parts guy gave me a 30A and a 5A for free, because he couldn't remember which one it was. Once I got home and found the correct fuse, which was visibly broken, I saw it was a 25A. I went back to the dealer today and asked for a 25A. Aother guy in parts rang me up for $.69 for the fuse... Gave him a credit card...

I got in the car, put the fuse in, ran the washers and it worked. I turned my lights on and ran the washers and it blew again (you could actually hear it pop). I took the other two fuses I had and went back inside the dealer and spoke to another guy in parts who nicely traded me for two new 25A fuses.

On the way out I spoke to my service guy and he seemed to be familiar with my problem and told me the pump may be failing or the headlight jets could be frozen down. He basically said don't use the washers with the lights on... He also suggested parking it in the sun...

Does it make sense that the winshield washers would work but the lens ones wouldn't? I tried to find a way to inspect the lens washers but there is no way to get to them. Should I run hot water over them? Any suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
MrAceXPS said:
Does it make sense that the winshield washers would work but the lens ones wouldn't?
There are 2 washer pumps, one for the head lights and one for the windshield, it is possible that only one is not working. Here is their location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine stopped working and dealer replaced under warrenty. Service guy told me there is a problem with original pumps and have been redesigned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts