Audi Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the craic lads? I've got a 98 a4 1.8T there seems to be white smoke coming out of the exhaust but it doesn't seem to be using much oil than usual, or extra coolant! I reckon its something to do with the air-con as it only really happens when the car is cold and the air con is on. Any ideas? oh the car is due an oil change

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Turbo blown.

Sorry mate

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
yeah i'm bringin it over to my mechanic on sat, when i said white smoke he said water but since its not overheating or using any collant doesnt look like the head a sure we'll see....i had an idea it could be the turbo and ive been tryin to price them any idea where ya can get them cheap well relativley?

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Not sure of the best place but if the turbo has gone then I would look for a K03's Or may be upgrades to a K04-15 turbo (This is not a TT or S3 turbo as they will not fit).

·
Registered
18 Posts
i think there is no problem ,it is something usual to have white smoke in the cold weahher ,for the firt 5- 10 minutes,is the smoke reduce and nearly disappear in 5-10 minutes? ,if there is ap roblem with the gasoline sysyem the smoke must be black or if it is a oil problem the smoke must be a kind of blue,so probably there is no problem in my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well its only usually in cold weather and i only take the car on shortish journeys usually say 5-7miles..but it's going over to my mechanic he was the head mech at an audi garage over here so he knows his stuff we'll see what he says

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just got back from his place new turbo needed! now have to track a new one down that doesn't cost an arm and a leg! any ideas lads?

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
I would go with the K03s or even a K04-15.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if i were you i would show the car to other services also ,i don't think it is a turbo problem ,any problem in the performance of car or in standat working? ,turbo is just a circulum of pressure ,how it is related with white smoke? ,white smoke means just the water ,turbo loves cold wheathers , idon't think that is aturbo problem ,if any problem with turbı ,you should feel it instantly.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
9 time out of 10 White solid smoke = Turbo blown seen it so many times over the years.

hope he changed your oil line while he was at it as they tend to get sludged up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts