Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still trying to get to the bottom of how to tap the speaker leads to simply add my sub. If anyone knows where the factory amp/s are (if not powered by the head unit) that would be great - if I could find that and the harness I could easily figure out what to tap. I will have the premium audio package in the 2005 a4. Anyone at all have any ideas? I dont have the car yet - supposed to take delivery tomorrow....

Also - where are any of you mounting amps - any clever ideas for a simple OUTTA the way amp install? I could make it easy and to the back of the box - but then when I want to remove if I ever want the room I gotta disconnect the whole thing.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
if you have the premium package you'll have the bose premium sound system which has an amp and a small sub (both located in the trunk, in the right storage compartment. theres an amp which powers all the speakers+ the sub. you'll need to find a way to tap into the existing subwoofer lead before it gets to the amp and run your new amp/sub off that. you'll understand better when you get the car

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this makes sense, ill dig it out when i get that car later today. I would prefer to tap the rear leads, using a full range signal with L and R but if I have to ill jump the sub lead I guess. I just like to do the crossing over vs. letting the bose system do eq'ing.

thanks for the reply, ill keep you posted :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW - do I have to take off the right side panel to access the amp?

I see 2 speakers in the rear from what I can tell

1 mounted on the read deck-looks like a 6 1/2 but I didnt really look hard
1 6x9 mounted in the floor when I pull the spare tire cover off

hasnt anyone added a sub - does anyone know what wires are what? Ill have to burp speakers, but if anyone knew the rear 2 door leads that would be great...

thanks!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
just found this which might help you.

my advice is find the sub leads from the head unit.. solder some RCAs on the end and run them to your amp (bypass the bose amp).

·
Registered
68 Posts
mine was in the back of the trunk, i reccomend if installing a new system jsut run all new wireing it sounds better and is alot easier

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
just adding a sub, thats it - its a 2 year lease...im not going nuts or itll end up like all my other cars with monitors and such......I promised myself thats all id do :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ran my power wire, that went well....but im trying to find the factory amp, I took off the pass rear site panel, I didnt see any sorta amp or what resembled an amp. there was nothing but this silver unit, but it didnt have any wires at all - are they hidden or was this not the amp.....im 99999% sure it wasnt.....cause ive done alot of stereos and seen alot of factory amps.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Run your 12v source from the battery then and take a low pass filter and run it off your back speakers. Then run a wire from the 12v on the amp for the sub and run it to the remoter with a swich in between. The switch will control the power on the amp. Do a few amp adjustments and u should be good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts