Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1998 A6 Quattro. I recently installed new tires and while this corrected quite a bit of vibration at speed, its still not where it should be. I've had the wheels balanced twice. The shop says they suspect I may have one or more wheels out of round. This may be the case however its doesn't seem to compute being as I'm not aware of any incident that would bend a wheel that much, and it seems to roll fine at city speeds.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what else may be causing vibration at speed?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had to replace a tyre (pirelli by the way) that the steel belt had shifted and put the tyre out of round. I know they are new tyres but you never know,,, one of them could be defective. If you are using your mags, it's pretty unlikely the the wheel is out of round since aluminum wheels tend to be pretty brittle and will not bend much without cracking. That being said;
-what king of tyres (rating) are they?
-perhaps the shop you are going to just aren't doing a very good job,,, try a certified dealer or a speed shop that has equipment for precision balancing
-worst case, you might have something bent in your suspension that is causing the vibration. You may want to get it inspected.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem for a while. I immediately thought it was a problem with a bent wheel or something as if not more serious. However, when I took it in to the shop, it turned out that a buildup of salt and dirt had led to the problem. You must remove all the wheels in order to fix this, so unless you own your own garage, I'd reccomend taking it into a shop. They fixed the problem for about 55 bucks. Granted your problem may be much different, seeing as how dirt and salt are common in the northeast, but it may shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Fatman@Feb 21 2005, 08:19 PM
I had the same problem for a while. I immediately thought it was a problem with a bent wheel or something as if not more serious. However, when I took it in to the shop, it turned out that a buildup of salt and dirt had led to the problem. You must remove all the wheels in order to fix this, so unless you own your own garage, I'd reccomend taking it into a shop. They fixed the problem for about 55 bucks. Granted your problem may be much different, seeing as how dirt and salt are common in the northeast, but it may shed some light on the subject.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Originally posted by jkenmuir@Feb 17 2005, 07:32 PM
I have an 1998 A6 Quattro. I recently installed new tires and while this corrected quite a bit of vibration at speed, its still not where it should be. I've had the wheels balanced twice. The shop says they suspect I may have one or more wheels out of round. This may be the case however its doesn't seem to compute being as I'm not aware of any incident that would bend a wheel that much, and it seems to roll fine at city speeds.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what else may be causing vibration at speed?
the same thing happened to my a6 quattro and the place where i changed my tires said my hupcaps were starting to crack which is causing the vibration/shaking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts