Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i been checking out some A4s since i need something with 4 seats, and a bunch of mechanics have said there are some quality issues with audi's. Someone even told me that 2 out 5 audis will last forever with no problems while the other 3 will be lemons... I really dont know if what they are saying is entirely true (they are bmw mechanics) but i just want to make sure what mechanical components i should have inspected before i buy a used audi. Also, would an inspection at an audi dealership be sufficient enought to check for any known problems that i should be looking out for? Any insight would be great, i really do not know much about audi's but from driving them a couple times they seem like solid cars.... i would love to pick one up but not if its going to be unreliable. Thanks
Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
There have been lots of people asking this question, take a few minutes to read all the posts. You will get lots of information about what to look for. For example, see the post "Buying an A4" right below (at the moment).

VB

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
look for one with a full service record(preferably by audi )
Check the cam belt has been changed and oil reguarly to avoid oil sludge.
Its like any other make of car if it is serviced reguarly it should look after you and be good for many miles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oops ya i read the buying an audi thread and it has some good pointers.... so when i take it to the dealership for an inspection should i specifically mention some of those things for them to check out in addition to their normal car inspection???

·
Registered
195 Posts
You will want to ask the Audi dealer to check the car thoroughly and it wouldn't hurt to mention looking at the front suspension, etc. However, there is no substitute for having the service records. Then you are 100% sure what has been done and when.

You often can't tell if the timing belt needs replacement, they look fine and will still break. On the 1.8T motor, the original service on the timing belts was 105,000 miles. No one goes that long even though the belt can loook fine at 80,000 miles. They can break anytime over 60,000.

Good luck finding a car. I love my 99.5 Avant.

VB

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts