Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Audi 80 1.9 tdi (1993) with 136 000miles have had it for 6 months/13 000 miles and love the car. not the fastest kid on the block, but it has a good solid feel to it, handles like a dream and eats up the miles along the motorway with ease.

recently i have noticed a wee problem creeping in. the water temperature used to stay at 80, but has recently crept up to 90, especially when stuck in traffic. the fan doesn't seem to kick in, but the fan does work when the connection to the switch is shortcircuited, so the fan itself must be working I replaced the fan switch, but that doesn't seem to have sorted things out.

any suggestions? flushing the radiator in case of blockages? but that doesn't explain the fan not kicking in. will the water reaching 90 cause damage to the engine?

please help me out some kinda fellow audi affectionada

A

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
would it be worth replacing the relay switch for the fan to see if that enables the fan to kick in when hot..... go on there must be someone out there with knowledge of the intricies of the audi 80 cooling system....

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the engine temperature reaching 90 degrees, I have an 80 2.0 16V that runs at about 90 degrees normally and the fan is not supposed to come on until mid 90s. The change in running temperature is a bit more of a concern and my first guess would be thermostat not opening fully so that there is a restricted flow to the radiator. I don't know exactly where the thermostat is on the 1.9 TDi but the replacement will entail the draining of the cooling system. They are generally fairly cheap, less than £10 from somewhere like Halfords (assuming you are in the UK)

Good luck

Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts