Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this audi, and it has only 42k miles on it. My mechanic noticed some noises coming from even while the the car is not running. Then he decided to check the engine. He told me that the noise is coming from the water pump (according to him, the fan in the pump is made of plastic and some wings are broken). I, myself, do not hear any weird noises, but I have to trust him since I am not good with engines at all.

What do you think? Should I really change the water pump for $400? Should I also change the timing belt at the same time? Is it possible to change the water pump without disconnecting all these timing belt and etc? What should I do?

·
Registered
195 Posts
If the same noise is being made when the engine is running and when it is not running, then the problem can not be from the water pump which is not moving when the engine is off.

I would get another opinion, especially since doing the timing belt etc is another $700 on top of the $400 for the pump. Take it to a dealer for diagnostics, then use your mechanic if you want.

Just my thoughts,

VB

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just noticed there is no coolant left (luckily I checked my engine before running it). Would you think the sudden evaporation is caused by the malfunction of water pump?

Another question, would the water leak make a smell? because I smelled something while the car is running yesterday.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts