Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1999 A4 Avant SE TDi with 160,000 miles. A few weeks back, I noticed a (very) large amount of water on the right hand side of the car interior. It was mostly underneath the carpet, but there was so much that some was visible above carpet itself.

I took the car to an Audi Centre here in London. The helpful mechanic who I spoke to knew almost immediately that the battery compartment/bulkhead in front of the windscreen was flooded. He pushed the blockage through the drain with a screwdriver and cleared the water.

I am drying the carpets as best I can myself - but this process is taking time as I don't have a garage to leave the car open. Audi have quoted about £600 to remove, dry and re-install the carpets. I'm also worried that water is entering the car from somewhere else, as there still seems to be quite a bit of water hanging around underneath the carpet. Does anybody know of any other problem leak areas in these cars? No, I don't have a sunroof either!

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Your drain plug under the battery is blocked allowing water in to the car, you will need to clear them and dry out the car.

It's a common problem and yes first signs are the floor area at the back but you will find the carpet is soaked front and rear on the same side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have had a water leak problem with my 2006 A4. Both front and rear nearside, passenger side, carpets were saturated with water.

Dealer had car for a week but said they could not find source. Carpets are currently dry, but water got in once so it is likely to happen again?

Read with intrest this thread about battery compartment being the potential problem?

Can somebody explain how it is getting in from this area, I thought the bulkhead was totally sealed? Since the car is only a few months old I would not have thought I would be suffering from blocked drain holes yet?

I have also heard that it may be getting in via the pollen filter? Is this a know problem area?

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
If the drain plugs are blocked the water rises above the grommets that feed wires & pipes in to the car, the water will leek through. Also if the pollen filters cover is not replaced back correctly or the trim around it is not water will also get in there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading this I checked the battery compartment bulkhead and found it about 10cm deep (2/3 way up the battery) across whole width of bulkhead compartment. Scary. Where exactly are the drain holes??
I have sponged all water out but I think this has accumulated from off windscreen/air vents over time

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this problem on my '98 A4. I removed the battery to find the drain hole and rodded it through with a length of plastic stuff, something like you get for a strimmer. I didn't have to recode the radio as I thought I would have to, hope you are as lucky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

I'm also having this problem on my 95 A4 1.8T. Water forms puddles in the rear driver side footwell. I've removed the battery and cleaned out both drain plugs under the battery and brake servo and checked the pollen filter which was dry. I believe this problem can also be caused by the sunroof drains. I found the two exits at the front and rear and neither seemed to be blocked (I could easily blow/suck through the pipe) but is there any way to check they're not actually leaking? Anyone any idea where the water actually comes in to the car interior?

Many thanks for all your help, and for the help I've already got through searching this forum.

Stedders

1 - 8 of 8 Posts