Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people i am in need of help! i have a 99 audi a4 1.8t quattro drive. I have noticed that when it rains and my car is sitting, i get a lot of water in the floor behind the driver side. i dont know where this water is comming from. i know its comming from the bottom, b/c thats the only part wet. i see that there is 2 vents in the floor. i was wondering if the water is comming from those vents? i noticed this after my engine splash shield was broken. is this the reason im getting this water? please help.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Morning,

Have you checked the water drainage channels on the car? make sure all these are clear other wise when they back up the water manages to find its way through the seals!

I have never seen the drainage on a B5 - howhower on most cars there a drain hole between the front and the back door on the center "A" piller.

one thing i would do first is to (maybe) pull the carpet up if its really wet and get a mate into the car and get your hose pipe or watering can and pour over the roof of the car to make sure you know exactly where the water is coming in first..

A few years back my 5 serires BMW footwell filled with waterafter a heavy down pour.. All i did was buy some really thin hard but flexible metal rods (very thin) find the drain holes and gentally push it down the holes to clear the blockage..

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Jits1980

I had the same problem here in UK (wet carpet behind passenger seat = driver's seat in sunny Sacremento!) Check out my post of 09 July - thread 'Soggy Carpet'. I first noticed the saturation after the car had been left standing for 2 weeks while I was on holiday. I repeat my 'warning' below:

'For several days I've been trying to figure out why the rear left-hand side footwell carpet was constantly saturated with clean fresh water (several wrung-out towels full), even when there's been no recent rain. Not the rear washer leaking, no leaks from heater hoses etc, no loss of known fluids, but the tray under the bonnet (hood) holding battery, brake servo etc. (just forward of the windshield) contained approx. 1" of rainwater, which must have been finding its way along heater tube (or within chassis section) directly to this footwell. If you live in a wet climate, make sure the drain hole in the rubber grommet holding the heater tubes that pass through this shelf is kept clear (or dislodge the grommet a bit), or provide your rear passengers with a snorkel. '

This is more than likely the cause, I've had no problems since! Any feedback would be welcome

Andy
1998 1.8T Avant

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with the previous post about water getting in around the skuttle/bulkhead area. Make sure that there are no leaves of leaf mulch blocking the drain holes from this area. I think that when the water level gets high enough (after a heavy downpour) then water can get in via the hole that carries the bonnet release cable out of the passenger compartment into the engine bay and even through the fuse box.
I have suffered the same on a VW Passatt and the judicious positioning of a large blob of bath sealant improved the situation.

Keep some wellies in the car for back seat passengers. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i have the same issue on the B6 - in the front front well... i will check tonight and see if i can find where its coming from...

I have alreay poured water over the car and it seems to drain ok...

(however i replaced the pollen filter about 2 months ago and will look behind there),

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts