Audi Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to remove the grated plastic trim between the windscreen and the engine bay? I think its called the water deflector panel?
My windscreen wipers have stopped working so I need accesss to the motor and linkages. I have done the following-

1. Removed plastic caps from wiper arms
2. removed the nuts and pulled of the arms
3. Removed engine bay seal
4. removed black trim cover that covers the battery and the entire surrounding trim.

I am now thinking the deflector panel needs to come off but I cant get it to budge!
Doea the ECU box also need to come out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated along with any fault findiing to do with the wipers.

Thanks,

Audi A4 1.9Tdi Avant Sport (130) 2002, 52 reg

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
To remove the lower windscreen trim very carefully pull the trim from the corners and use a plastic wedge to pry away from the screen,when you get the trim to move away from the glass just put yu hands under the trim and gently pull the rest out of the lower windscreen gutter.You can know remove the torx screws to the engine control unit box and remove the lid then disconnect the battery and disconnect the engin ecu and the multiplug connectors and you can then remove the two securing nuts for the lower e box and remove to access the motor and linkage.Mark the motor in the rest position on the linkage before replacing it so it goes back how it should or you will spend all day finding the rest position.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
no,just refit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well its fixed!

The deflector panel was removed as per the advice of A8 Tech. Although the panel was so brittle that it broke. New one only cost £11 approx from Audi so no problem.

Wiper linkage assembly was seized so got new linkage assembly from Audi for about £65 and fitted it - fairly straight forward but just note the position of the motor on the linkage before removal.

Wipers work great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello mate
Can u tell me wot symptoms u was seeing with the seized linkage please. as mine will only go very slowly and sometimes not at all
Ta
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
a8 tech said:
To remove the lower windscreen trim very carefully pull the trim from the corners and use a plastic wedge to pry away from the screen,when you get the trim to move away from the glass just put yu hands under the trim and gently pull the rest out of the lower windscreen gutter.You can know remove the torx screws to the engine control unit box and remove the lid then disconnect the battery and disconnect the engin ecu and the multiplug connectors and you can then remove the two securing nuts for the lower e box and remove to access the motor and linkage.Mark the motor in the rest position on the linkage before replacing it so it goes back how it should or you will spend all day finding the rest position.
Hello A8 tech. Your knowledge is great! I followed your advice and got my A4 wipers at least moving, not fast, but moving with WD40. My A4 only has 27k miles on it. Any idea how long a warranty would cover the linkages? Seems odd that this would occur on so many models according to the forum posts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi , I have a 2003 A4 2.4 V6 and I am in process of changing battery. HAve basically followed same steps as deejaya4 did at the start of this thread.. but in step 2 I removed the nuts that hold the wiper arm on the shaft but cant get the arms off. Are they just stiff, how do I loosen?. I cant see anyway to prise them off. looks to me like I need something like a small gear puller. Any suggestions please. Further to removing the grated plastic that is under the wiper arms. Mine is held in place by three clips, one at each end and one in middle, although I havent tackled these yet as I haven't removed the wiper arms.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I sprayed WD40 on mine and then left them to soak - then rocked it from side to side while pulling hard. Not easy but eventually came away. Also do it with the wipers in the retracted position (sticking up).
The grated plastic (water deflector panel) is a pain as well and basically all you do is remove any clips that you see and pull it hard away from the windscreen. It is normal to have to replace this panel as the plastic is brittle and breaks easy. Dont worry as they are quite inexpensive from Audi and make the car look better after replacement. c£12
Also be careful not to damage the windscreen by prising anything to get the deflector panel off!
Hope this helps if you have not alrady done it......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your help.. I gave up and took it to a service place. They changed the battery without removing the wiper arms or plastic grate which is apparently the proper method.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I first bought my A4 the wipers didnt work so the dealer had to replace the motor and cracked the windshield trying to get this piece off. Then they tried telling me it was already like that. Needless to say a call to the owner took care of the windshield. So to sum it up dont stick a screw driver between the windshield and the deflector and try to pry it off!

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want to save money you can clean and polish the assembly. There are two ball joints, left and right as you face the windscreen. My left had one seized.
Take the whole assembly out and disconnect the arms from the motor.
Move each arm to see which one is seized.
Remove the circlip and O ring, and put in to a vice. It will take some doing, but it you keep twisting it to and throw, and it will slide out.
You will then be able to see all the corrosion which has caused it to seize.
Remove, clean, polish and then refit.
I put some copper grease on the pin, and a Special grease for the rubber o ring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I first bought my A4 the wipers didnt work so the dealer had to replace the motor and cracked the windshield trying to get this piece off. Then they tried telling me it was already like that. Needless to say a call to the owner took care of the windshield. So to sum it up dont stick a screw driver between the windshield and the deflector and try to pry it off!
I broke my windshield when removing the wipers. Be careful!

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is a common problem with Audi. The "FIX" is to remove the motor asm, remove the clip retaining the wiper shafts in their pivot spindles. Then carefully using penetrating fluid work the shafts out. Now clean the inside of the pivots asm and the wiper shafts with mild abrasive/Scotchbrite and light oil. Don't remove too much material, just the corrosion. Then lubricate them with a grease that repels water. I use wheel bearing grease. Reassemble and you good to go for many years. I had found an article with pictures that explain the whole process. Took about 20 min out, 15 to clean/lub and another 20 to reinstall. Sure beats $100 plus dollars for a new part. Search on Audi wipers slow or binding.
AudiWorld Tech Articles or
How To Re & Re the wiper linkage - TDIClub Forums This is the best one with images too

·
Registered
7 Posts
pulling off wiper arms

the wiper arms can be seized on really tough....you can actually get special pullers for the arms...as shown in the link below....
Draper 71462 Wiper Arm Puller: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

or just look up wiper arm puller in google.....

I had to use one of these to get mine off....cos i was afraid to use too much force cos you can end up breaking the spindles.....or worse still crack the windscreen,,,,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts