Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me with an intermitant problem that is really starting to p**s me off. :(

When I've been out on a drive and stop the engine for a short period (pop in the shops for curry, etc.) the engine doesn't always restart. If I turn off the ignition and wait a few seconds it nearly always starts second or third time. First I thought it was the key security so I've started to wait for the light to go out on the dash before I turn it over but it doesn't help. :angry:

I've recently had a service but the guys said they found no problems. No warning lights or any other indication of what it might be. Has anyone got any ideas?

--------------------
A4 1.8 SE '00

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any useful information on this topic would be appreciated.

I am having a similar problem. I drove for an hour, stopped for about 10 minutes and the car would not start. The doors unlocked but the engine would not crank - only the clicking sounds when the battery is dead could be heard.

The battery is fairly new and there was no previous indication that the battery was dying.

Once the car was jump started it ran until I made it home (1 mile). Then when the car was turned off it would not start again. A charger was put on the battery and it indicated that the battery has a full charge. When tried to start again the interior lights flickered and the clicking would be heard but the engine would not crank. The car was turned off and then tried again and everything was dead. very dim interior lights, and no clicking???? Battery still indicates a full charge????

It seems that maybe there is a short in the system, bad solenoid??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yeah i think it might have something to do with the fuel pump or something else in the fuel system. i have a 99 a4 and it does the same thing. it wont turn over for like the first two times i try to start it and its only after being driven for a long period of time???? seems like it cant be a good thing??? just another one of those cheap trips back to audi!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got the same problems. It started in late November when the service engine light would come on. Now it stays on. The only error code that it is throwing is an "Engine Fuel Temp" error. I was told that the fuel line may be getting too warm, so when the engine shuts off, the fuel expands to much, and it is sort of vapor locking. I have not had time to check this out yet. Anybody else know if this is a common problem?
PS - I drive a 1998 A4 wagon

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to check this out when the weather gets a little warmer. I'll try to let everyone know what I've found. If I can't find anything, looks like I'll be taking it to a dealer :( I'd like to know if many people have had this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts