Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the absence of an appropriate workshop manual does anyone know the recommended valve clearances for a 1993 A80 2.0 16V?

Does anyone know if the head on the A80 16V is basically the same construction as the Golf 16V? It appears as though there is at least some literature about for that model for the correct year.

Any information greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Further investigation in a VW Passat Haynes manual suggests that the 9A VW engine is very similar to the A80 16V engine and that they are both fitted with hydraulic bucket shims.

Does anyone know of any wear specification for the chain that drives the inlet camshaft from the exhaust camshaft?

Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm pretty sure that VW didn't put in a replacement schedule for their chains, however, new ones are available from GSF Car Parts (and others) for not too much money if you want to replace it.
Is the Audi 2.0l 16v engine the same as the 9A used in the Corrado & Passat or the same as that in the Mk3 Golf GTI?
Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the timing chain info, I can't find anything to suggest that it is a finite life part.

On the valve clearance topic, I think that the heads are fitted with hydraulic bucket tappets so should be self adjusting. That begs the question:- why does my head sound so rattly? The answer could be that they are all like that. This is my first 16 valve VAG engine so I have no reference.

As for whether the Audi 2.0 16V engine is the same as the Corrado/Passat one or the Golf Mk3 one, that is a level of detail to which I do not have access at the moment.

I am going to flush the engine and change the oil to see if that sooths it any.

Have a good Christmas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well, I used to have a 2.0l 16v Corrado (with a 9A block also with hydraulic tappets) and I had no significant rattle from it, so I would imagine that it could just be your oil as you say.
I also found on my old 1.8l 16v K-Jet Corrado, that the wrong viscosity (sp?) of oil made a great difference as that rattled like a bag of spanners when the garage put 0-40 in it!
Best of luck, and I hope the oil change quietens things down. If however you feel changing the tappets neccessary, they are about £6 each from GSF.
Happy Christmas to you too.
Tom

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tom,

the oil viscocity tip is a good one, I am a fan of good thick oil, (15W50 in my Ducati) not so good in Arctic conditions but just the ticket in England.

I was thinking of buying a 16V head from the local scrappy and doing some offline investigation. I had a VW Carravelle that had hydraulic tappets and I disassembled and cleaned a couple of those to good effect so these can probably be done in a similar fashion.

Oil change first though.

Happy holidays,

Keith

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Probably the wrong forum for this conversation, but yes I do ride a Ducati, 1995 748SP with the 916 barrels and Wiseco pistons to make it 853. I use it only on trackdays now, too fast for the road in safety.

I recently bought an Aprilia RS250 but my brother blew it up before I got a proper go. Seem to be collecting rebuild cases at the moment.

What do you ride?

Whatever it is keep it sticky side down and have a merry Christmas.

Keith

·
Registered
74 Posts
keith-- yeah wrong topic for this forum --i ride a little 600ss big bored and stage two dyno- not as exquisite as your trackbike but i enjoy riding it and have loads of fun riding it on the road--- have you visited the ducati sporting club forum? bags of info on all ducati's and cheap trackdays available if your a paid up member

www.ducatisportingclub.com -- i bet you know all about them anyway :)

have a good christmas
dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts