Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the procedure you have to go through to get these codes from Audi, my dealer doesn't seem to know, and although I've found a few by googling around they don't work. Vag Com say they are in the workshop manual for the vehicle concerned??

There are logins for changing various parameters in, 01 engine, 17 instruments, 25 imob... etc etc

Car is Uk spec 1997 A6 Avant 140 TDI (AEL)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing specifically just would be nice to know the codes now in case I need it, rather than trying to find it when it's vital later. Lottery win excluded, I intend to keep this car until the doors fall off, largely because it does all I need it to, and I don't have a fortune invested in it that's depreciating by the hour.... along with reliable, economical, galvanised, so very basic mechanically, and easy to work on :p

Being a engineer / race car mech It's in my DNA to want to know as much as possible about it, also it would be nice if I could code some keys too without my wallet being stolen by an Audi dealer. :innocent:

One other thing you may know:-

I have a spare ECU, (taken from a 140 TDI 6 speed in a breakers), and would like to make it a useable spare so I can keep it in the car as a get me out of trouble unit.

Reading vag-com it appears you don't need a login for ECU swap..

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/immobilizer2.html

There are however some large holes in the information on vag-coms site, possibly because they are a US company, but according to them A6 C4 after 95 has ODBII connector, however mine being a 1997 TDI and not supplied to the US market could be what I've amusingly heard referred to as a "Frankenstein car", and has the 2+2 connector...

Also the Haynes manual for my car, (which I know should be taken with a large bucket of salt), says, and I quote:-

"Always wait at least 30 seconds after switching off the ignition before disconnecting the ECU. When the wiring is disconnected, all the learned values are erased, however any contents of the fault memory are retained, After reconnecting the wiring, the basic settings must be reinstated by an Audi dealer using special equipment. Note that if the ECU is renewed, the identification of the new ECU must be transferred to the immobiliser control unity by an Audi dealer"

So to sum up, looks as if I can swap out the ECU and "tell" the, (separate), immobiliser to accept it with Vag-Com, (without requiring a login code), but will I then be stuck with an ECU that has no settings and due to the fact I don't have a login, not be able to setup the basic settings? :unsure:

I've done a fair bit of searching about, but there seems to be very little detailed info, I'm actually surprised Vag-Com themselves don't have a user database on their site where these logins could be grouped shared...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts