Audi Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys..

just out of intrest... i know the standard Fuel in the US is 91 (correct me if im wrong).. but do your motors over there feel slug'ish ie... 1.8T etc.??

The reason i say is when i used 95 unleaded my car really feels slower than when i run it on 99.. ???

Cheers

Rickt

·
Registered
15 Posts
Around me we have 93 Octane, I can't tell a difference. In my user manual it says I can run regular or premium. (regular is 87)

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
broccoli said:
Around me we have 93 Octane, I can't tell a difference. In my user manual it says I can run regular or premium. (regular is 87)
Thats interesting as our uk Audi say in the manual that they must run on at least 95 octane(regular) or higher !!

I guess your engine management must be set up differently to compensate for the weaker fuel ??

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah... in the Uk the min is 95 as per the manual... however if the reset the engine codes via vag com it runs crap for about 2 mins until it auto adjusts to the fuel... hence why i reset it if i have been running on 95 then i get better milage when using 99,..

any more input??

Rickt

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
broccoli said:

How many of you guys in the US run your motors on 87??? --

Just out of intrest what are you 0-60 on Stock then compared to the UK cars??
Surely the lower the octance the less performance??

Cheers

Rickt

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the US octane is calculated as the average of motor octane very conservatively rated and research octane extremely optimisticly rated.It is likely that there is very little difference in UK 99 octane and US 93 octane.93 octane US fuel has a rating of about 99 to 101 research octane.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Whitt is that true, with the oct rating forumla? I've heard that else where to but i don't believe it. Over in the states they print the formula next to the rating. Someone in England should see if they have the same and post the forumlas up.

I immigratted from the UK to the US and i had a 02 Mk4 VW GTi 1.8T 150bhp that i would fill up mostly on 95 and it felt kinda ok until i filled up on 99.

Now i've over here in the US i have a 03 B6 1.8T Quattro with 170bhp which feels slower than my Golf. I fill up on the highest octane i can find at the pertol/gas station. Which is usually 93. On the flap it says the minimum to use is 91.

I always use the highier oct cuz i feels you get better MPG and the car runs nicer, smoother and more powerful as well as it being better for the engine.

Now i was in Greenville a few weekends ago with my Mother-in-laws Cadillac CTS and this petrol/gas station had 105 oct with Ethenol. Being my mother-in-laws CTS she filled it up with the cheapest stuff she could find lol. Can my Audi take the 105 Ethenol mixture OR is that like LPG conversions and stuff so i shouldn't touch it unless my engine has been converted to Ethenol?

I look forward to some answers!

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
HarisMic said:
Whitt is that true, with the oct rating forumla? I've heard that else where to but i don't believe it. Over in the states they print the formula next to the rating. Someone in England should see if they have the same and post the forumlas up.

I immigratted from the UK to the US and i had a 02 Mk4 VW GTi 1.8T 150bhp that i would fill up mostly on 95 and it felt kinda ok until i filled up on 99.

Now i've over here in the US i have a 03 B6 1.8T Quattro with 170bhp which feels slower than my Golf. I fill up on the highest octane i can find at the pertol/gas station. Which is usually 93. On the flap it says the minimum to use is 91.

I always use the highier oct cuz i feels you get better MPG and the car runs nicer, smoother and more powerful as well as it being better for the engine.

Now i was in Greenville a few weekends ago with my Mother-in-laws Cadillac CTS and this petrol/gas station had 105 oct with Ethenol. Being my mother-in-laws CTS she filled it up with the cheapest stuff she could find lol. Can my Audi take the 105 Ethenol mixture OR is that like LPG conversions and stuff so i shouldn't touch it unless my engine has been converted to Ethenol?

I look forward to some answers!
Lol HarisMic that would be like rocket fuel in your turbo ...

Mind you i believe the new BP fuel out over here now is 102 octane and contains a ethanol mix so i dont see its gonna cause too much proble with the running !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well i want the most bang for my buck! HAHA

So i take it, 105 Ethenol mixture wont mess my car up?! Does anybody see it being beneficial?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have run a supercharged Chevrolet 403CID V8 for the past 5 years on 93 octane,with 26 degrees timing at 7.5 lbs of boost in as much as 100 degree ambient temps with no knock,it managed to make 600+rwhp on 93 octane.And my 10.25:1 compression Big Valve Twin Cam Lotus engine does well on it too.I would not even consider running E85 in a car not prepped to run it.The guys I know with flex-fuel setups complain about poor performance with E85.

·
Registered
46 Posts
whitt1 said:
I have run a supercharged Chevrolet 403CID V8 for the past 5 years on 93 octane,with 26 degrees timing at 7.5 lbs of boost in as much as 100 degree ambient temps with no knock,it managed to make 600+rwhp on 93 octane.And my 10.25:1 compression Big Valve Twin Cam Lotus engine does well on it too.I would not even consider running E85 in a car not prepped to run it.The guys I know with flex-fuel setups complain about poor performance with E85.
Thanks for the info whitt.

I dont have any knock or overly noisey engine either and all i use is 93 so it can't be bad.

I found that website that gives good basic info on E85 basically it says that the Alcohol is corrosive so the pipes and metals need to be treated.

I think i drove an 07 Impala that was flexi-fuel. I had no idea what it meant, just thought it meant it was more economical. I hated the Impala deffiently not my choice of car.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
normal fuel here in new york is 89

1 - 13 of 13 Posts