Audi Forums banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well after a month of back and forth my local Audi dealer and Audi America both said I have to pay for the new tires myself. They will only do the alignment for free. And on top of that they will keep and drive my car for the first 300 miles and then check the alignment again to see if anything goes wrong......so I guess I am paying to be their guniea pig......what bs.....since I don't have a much of a choice and don't want to spend my valuable time on this nonsense I am paying.......so I will see what happens now when it gets to about 5000 miles on these new tires......they are goodyears by the way...

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK - I read this entire thread through yesterday and have been giving this a lot of careful consideration before posting this reply.

Tyre wear is a very difficult thing to compare especially across different brands of tyre fitted to different brands of vehicle. There must be literally 100's of variables at play given that scope.

snip
. Furthermore people on here have compared the Q7 to Land Rovers, Land Cruiser Amazons and the like. Have you seen the tyres fitted to those things? I've been looking at all such large cars on my 85 mile trip from Winchester to Bristol this morning and the tyres on ALL of them wouldn't look out of place on a transit van; whereas the tyres on most Q7's I've seen wouldn't look out of place on a saloon car.
While the Land Cruiser has less of a low profile tyre I can assure you that the Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, BMW X5 and Mercedes ML and GL have directly comparable tyres, weight, performance and handling to the Q7. They do not and have not in my hands, worn their tyres out every 10,000 to 12,000 miles. The Range Rover did 35,000 miles hard driven before it wore its first set out. The X5 Sport did 22,000 miles on a set of very low profiles. The ML was on its first set when sold at over 20,000 miles.
And yes, I have and do drive Transit vans, Mercedes, vauxhall, Renault and Fiat vans regularly as well as Range Rover, Land Cruiser, Mercedes GL and sundry Japanese vehicles as well as having owned various cars such as Golf GTi's and Jaguar XK8's fitted with Pirrelli P Zero's.

Bottom line is.......... none, absolutely none, wore all four of their tyres out like the Q7 even after checking its alignment and driving as if perpetually on ice.

It is rather patronising of you to try and deflect this problem onto the owners as if they all lack experience and a mechanical apptitude. It is this very long experience that makes this car's tyre wear rate so unacceptable compared with anything comparable on the market today that I have experience of, and that's a huge lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Second Set

Been following the thread with interest.
My Oct 07 Q7 has just clocked up 10000 miles. I had the front tyres changed by the dealership FOC after 5000 miles, with their well practiced speech ringing in my ears "on this occasion we will change the tyres FOC but we will not be able to do that again...".
I'm calling on them again this week to see if they've changed their position as the second set now need replacing.

It would be really good if they could do something about the fuel economy too (max avg 22 mpg - 3.0TDI). My 4.2 Land Cruiser beat this motor hands-down. Big mistake!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Q7 has just covered 16,000 miles with no tread wear at all on the outside edges, despite the previous owner running the pressures too low (36F 38R) for the first 6,000 miles. I have 295 35 R21's which should be run at 44F 49R and rekon I have another 6,000 miles left in them.
I have met two other Q7 owners who remarked on the excessive tye wear on the outside edges, one of which took his car back to the dealer only to be told, '' that's normal''. I advised him to look at this site.
This has to be something to do with the factory settings (camber or tracking).
I must admit, I did look at the Q7 forums to see if there were any major problems with these cars before commiting to buy and also chose S/hand to ensure I was not buying one with this inherent problem.
On the whole, I am very pleased with the car. I just wish I had looked on the RRS forum Before I bought one last year. Dreadful cars with so many problems, awful customer care and the dealers try to fob their customers off with any excuse but fix it. The Q7 is in a different league altogether.
Not sure if this thread is still going...I have 16K on my Q7 which I bought new in May 07 and tyres are good as new. My suspension is lowered and I am riding 22"....I have always rotated front to back every 5k miles and keep PSI as follows - I check PSI once a month and it is always OK...no loss;

fronts: 45PSI (recommended is 44PSI on 21" however I have a lowered suspension which is tilted slightly forward)

rears: 49PSI (suspension is toed in slightly)

I also own other cars - some high performance cars - and will state that tyre PSI is often the main course for high tyre wear. It is just not worth getting bothered about any other points...i.e the weight of the car, your driving style, type of road etc. Just check your PSI regularily and ensure it is optimum.

As a side issue, check out a 997 C4 Cab and you will find it needs 40PSI or more on the back and that car weighs almost 1 ton less than the Q7 so why is anyone on this forum running their rears as low as 38PSI on a 2.5 ton SUV?

The Q7 is a heavy beast and anyone who thinks they will be OK on less than 38PSI regardless of how many passengers you regularily carry needs a reality check!

just my 2 cents worth...!!!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
good reply and very true

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi 996CAB

Agree with you on pressures. Since changing my fronts at 11k we (dealer and I) agreed to set the PSI to 42 all round. Seems to be working out quite well. Just back from a 3000 mile tour around Italy and 2000 Miles around UK and they still look like new. Very happy. Interestingly - when I talked to a few of my German friends who also have Q7's - they report no major problems with their tyres.

Also - one of my rears is still looking good from new - it has done 17.5k miles now - will likely need a change around 20k. The other rear was changed at 7k due to a bloody big bolt stuck in it.

What I have noticed is that the user handbook recommends max PSI (44 & 48) all round whatever the load - definitely a difference from the fuel cover settings. Wonder if that is the problem - wrong info?

Who did the suspension lowering for you? What is your impression of ride quality? Certainly looks good though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi 996CAB

Agree with you on pressures. Since changing my fronts at 11k we (dealer and I) agreed to set the PSI to 42 all round. Seems to be working out quite well. Just back from a 3000 mile tour around Italy and 2000 Miles around UK and they still look like new. Very happy. Interestingly - when I talked to a few of my German friends who also have Q7's - they report no major problems with their tyres.

Also - one of my rears is still looking good from new - it has done 17.5k miles now - will likely need a change around 20k. The other rear was changed at 7k due to a bloody big bolt stuck in it.

What I have noticed is that the user handbook recommends max PSI (44 & 48) all round whatever the load - definitely a difference from the fuel cover settings. Wonder if that is the problem - wrong info?

Who did the suspension lowering for you? What is your impression of ride quality? Certainly looks good though.

Sportingmac,
thx for your response.

My Q7 was lowered by Project Khan...see www.projectkahn.co.uk. The work was done as part of the prep by Audi before I took delivery.

The car drives like a dream and handles very well indeed though the tyre PSI needs to be on the higher end else you feel the tyres 'rolling' round tight bends.

The ride quality is perhaps 15% - 20% harsher however that is still silky smooth to me compared to some of my sports cars!!!

I will do same again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
G'day
I'm glad to see the Q7's tyre wear issue is not uncommon. My Q7 came with Goodyear Eagle F1 (235/60r18) tyres which have not lasted 20 000km. I had tried the negotiation bit with Audi Australia before, when the info display on my TT fizzled; without joy (I note that this has been a class action issue in the States).
So I have decided to sacrifice the sporty looks for a more durable tyre. My experience with Cooper tyres on my 4x4 fleet has been excellent (well over 50 000km per set), I am going to try the Zeon XST 255/55R18's on the Q7. Has anyone else tried these?

I shall keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cooper Zeon XST's

G'day
I am going to try the Zeon XST 255/55R18's on the Q7. Has anyone else tried these?
dvdsam0,

I have just put on 274/45 20" Cooper Zeon XST, replacing all the originals after 15,000. Only really the front edges had gone (rears were ok).

The Cooper tyres feel like the Wranglers on my Discovery 3, so more insulating on bad roads, a little less sporty although no more tyre noise really despite the chunky tread.

They were "only" £560 for four, fitted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Q7 Tryre and Wheel Alignment

Hi....

Help and advice required please.

I have a re-occuring problem with my Q7, with the wheel alignment and subsequent tyre wear on the outer 20% of the tyres.

Audi did replace an original set of tyres free of charge, however the re-occuring problem is resulting in tyre changes every 8000 miles.

Is there an alternative tyre available that will be more durable? or is changing the wheels a better option?

It also looks like increasing the psi to 42 may help, is this true?

Please advise, I am fed up speaking to my audi dealership ony to be told its my fault due to under inflation of the tyres and the camber of the road causing my Q7 to pull to the left!?!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had my tyres replaces at 10000 miles - but they were not as bad as some I saw also having a tyre change. Audi did a second wheel alignment for me and raised the tyre pressure to 40psi. I am now at 18500 miles and very little wear showing now - so I am expecting to see 20k plus on this set of fronts.

In teh handbook (p341 I believe) it does say to inflate to max - which is contrary to the fuel cap figures of 35psi.

So the compromise of 40psi seems to be working for me. I also leave the suspension set up at Dynamic - combination seems to work quite well.

My local dealership is brilliant - the service technicians take time to talk to me and explain what they are doing and why - customer service where it should be - not in a suit behind a computer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi....

I have a re-occuring problem with my Q7, with the wheel alignment and subsequent tyre wear on the outer 20% of the tyres.

Audi did replace an original set of tyres free of charge, however the re-occuring problem is resulting in tyre changes every 8000 miles.

Is there an alternative tyre available that will be more durable? or is changing the wheels a better option?

Please advise, I am fed up speaking to my audi dealership ony to be told its my fault due to under inflation of the tyres and the camber of the road causing my Q7 to pull to the left!?!!
Previous premium tyres only lasted 10,000 to 11,000 miles but since changing to Maxxis Maurauder budget tyres inflated to 40psi some 8000 miles ago, they have hardly worn at all as far as I can see. This is a RESULT :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Coopers work well

Hi....

I have put on the Cooper Zeon XST's with good results so far. There is certainly more tread depth to the edges, which should make them last longer than the stock tyres. Changing the wheels wont really help, The only way the wear issue is going to be resolved is when someone (Quite probably an aftermarket supplier) goes through the process of engineering an adjustable suspension setup that will not adversely affect the safety and handling of the car. Audi must have spent a lot on R&D to get a car of this size to handle well, tyre life expectancy obviously did not rate as a high priority.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is not just tyre wear- they are being SCRUBBED bare on their outer edges.

Vehicle: Q7 3.0 V6 Diesel Reg April 07
Tyres Goodyear Eagle F1 275/45Z R20
Mileage 19755
Tyre status. Just about to have third front set fitted

I really like the Q7, but I am concerned by the front tyres being scrubbed of their outer tread prematurely, together with the ongoing expense it threatens, and disappointment with Audi's minimal response to what is clearly a well known issue for many Q7 owners in this respect.

I have read widely of the Q7's tyre wear problem on this forum, and on others. In doing so I have also read those postings which attempt to rationalise, and explain why such tyre wear is to some degree to be expected. This is done by reference to numerous factors, such as the car being a very heavy performance SUV, the manufacturers decision to bias the wheels and tyre setup towards grip and performance rather than economy, driving styles, among many other factors. However, this must be true of a number of vehicles in this class that seem to avoid this complaint.

It's probably true that some owners will unfortunately have not run their tyres at the correct pressure for prolonged periods of time, unaware of the damage being caused until too late. Futhermore wheel alignment and tracking can be disrupted by potholes, and 'kerbing'

However the numerous complaints about the very same issue which I will now refer to as 'scrubbing' of the front tyre's outer edges, rather than simply tyre wear, is really without doubt. Audi's one time only offers of free tyre replacement after x miles, or discounted tyres after y miles, is just a PR sticking plaster, as well as an admission of sorts.

Even a 'concessional' 25% discount off a replacement tyre by the Audi dealership still makes that offering more expensive than the independant marketplace.

I think most people can acquire relatively easily the above tyre , fully fitted, balanced, and VAT included for circa £200, rather than the full price £299 my Audi dealer feels they have to charge.

The tyres I have had to replace have had approx 3-4mm of tread remaining on approx 75% of the tread surface measured from the inside edge, but the remaining 25% of the tread to the outer edge of the tyre has been scrubbed down to the legal minimum of 1.6mm.

The vehicle underwent a 4 wheel alignment and tracking check by the supplying Audi dealership, and the results were reported back as being normal and within Audi's tolerances, despite the tyres outer edges showing scrubbing damage. The attempt to charge me for the check was eventually dropped, as it was discovered that it could be recouped from Audi by the dealership.

This type of tyre wear is not what the vast majority of new owners could have expected, no matter what their previous experience might be of 'other high performance vehicles'. For many reasonable Q7 owners this cannot be acceptable tyre wear, or even high tyre wear, but premature and unacceptable tyre destruction of the outer edges of their front tyres.

Audi's free one off tyre replacement, or one off discount is a sop to placate rightly aggrieved customers. Of course I assume Q7 sales personnel are grateful for this 'throw in' which might prevent a sale being scuppered with better informed potential customers. It is not a strong selling point that a number Q7's owners are having to seperately fork out £400-£600 on front tyre replacements around every 7000 miles, ongoing.

I suppose Audi's recent effort to educate its Q7 customers in 'tyre care' may extend the life of some tyres for some customers, and 'manage' the expectations of some others. Unfortunately, despite the one off free/discounted tyre (if the mileage qualifies it), Audi maintains its parameters for the wheel setup as being correct for the car and how it is supposed to drive. This will remain of slim comfort to customers who survey their otherwise servicable tyres with outer edges scrubbed of their tread, in believing Audi have got it wrong.

Are the majority of Q7 customers going to be content with the technical arguments regarding the compromises of sporty handling and cornering stresses v extended tyre life? Unlikely. If the tyre wore out more quickly than they would like, but across the whole of the tread area, then maybe they would be more accepting.

Are the customers happy? No, not when their tyres each costing £200-£300 all too quickly look like those you might see on a unroadworthy, MOT failure, rather than a prestige SUV vehicle the Q7 aims to be.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My maxxis tyres cost £85 plus VAT and seem on course to lasting over 15000 miles compared to 10,000 for premium brands. The only downside is more noise at around 100mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Front wear on front Q7 tyres

I have had this problem since owning the Q7, had new front tyres replaced under warranty at 8k miles. Now having new ones again under warranty at 23K due to them saying my tyres were not bald and had 3mm of trim, then when looked closely they agreed you could see the wire on the outer wall. Obviously dealer was very embarassed as they had had it for 2 days to check tyres and fix another problem and clearly hadn't looked at the tyres at all.
It has had the geo checked twice. Love my Q7 but don't want to have to replace tyres 3 times a year, which dealer is saying can be normal.
This was never told to us when we bought the car.:mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The same tyre wear issue...

It is satisfying to see that your breaking hasn't gone fanatical and the issue your facing with Q7 tyres is not a unique issue but rather a common problem faced by most, if not all, Q7 owners. What I am yet to prove to Audi Australia though is the fact that the problem has arrived downunder too and it's not unique to UK/Europe/USA...
I was asked to replace front tyres when my Q7 went for the first service on anniversary after doing just over 13,000 KMs. I did notice that the front tyres were getting bald on the outer ages before but didn’t think much of it at the time. I was very surprised to see that the brand new Q7 will need new set of tyres in a year. My previous car needed new tyres 4 years and 50,000+KMs later…
Curious and surprised, here I am calling dealership to find out what went wrong and how can I assure my self that Q7 will not need new set of tyres next year.
I was told to keep the tyre pressures at 45psi, which of course is not consistent with the instructions provided on the chart fixed near the petrol lead. And that's fine too provided you are notified when you buy the vehicle which wasn’t the case...
I have spoken to Audi Australia since about the "scrubbing" of the front tyre's outer edges, rather than simply tyre wear. Just to hear the same old story about tyre pressure, driving style and the uniqueness of every one's driving. The fact that Audi is refusing to acknowledge this as an issue in Australia is the biggest concern I have... I didn't buy my Q7 to donate few thousand dollars every year to keep the economy ticking... it's going out of my pocket and something I obviously didn't plan for!
Get this; there is no such one time only offer of free tyre replacement after x miles, or discounted tyres after y miles in Australia. You just expected to take the news, try to improve your driving style and get on with your life a few thousand dollars poorer...
So, Where to from here?
I want to know if any one in Australia in particular had this issue - A.
B - IF you answered Yes to A, where you able to get any "help" or assistance from your dealer or Audi Australia?
If your experience is similar to mine, please get in touch so that we can educate Audi Australia that Australia is not immune from this problem. They need to get their acts together and implement a consistent approach for all Q7 buyers around the world. Secondly, Audi should spend some $ to investigate this issue and once they know, start educating people on how to get more than just 5000 KMs out of Q7 tyres…

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, just changed my tyres for the first time after 22,500 miles, so no problems here.
Going to try continentals this time as they are not a directional tyre, also I will be running the pressures at 42F 44R rather than 44F 49R as I found the middle of the tyre wore out first with plenty on the edge.
Those of you with tyre wear problems, I rekon it's Either set up (tracking), or tyre pressures too low combined with driving style.
Has anyone thought about adjusting their tracking to the max outer limit? I did this on my Lotus and that stopped the outer edge scrubbing out too quick and found the handling was not affected.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tyre Wear Nightmare

Is anyone having issues with premature tyre wear? My Q7 has done 5000 miles, the front tyres are wearing on the outer edge and have only got 2000 miles left according to my local ATS. I Took it in to my local Audi dealer they carried out a full re-alignment and told me that Audi are looking into the problem. I have a friend who is also having the same problem with his Q7, he has been told exactly the same as I have but he has had to now pay to replace his front tyres after 8000 miles which is not very good.
I have had my Q7 for a year now and are on my second set of front tyres!! It has just been in for a service and Audi have told me the tyres have excessive wear on the outer edges. These tyres have only done 2000 miles you wouldn't mind but at £275 per corner its a joke. My mate has got exactly the same car as me a 3.0 tdi sportline with 21" wheels and he needs all 4 tyres replacing after just 6000 miles. My car is going in for a full wheel alingment next week but how long will this last ? I have already paid out £550 a few months ago only to be told i need not only the back tyres relaced but the reasonably new front ones as well. That puts me up to £1650 in a year !!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had my Q7 for a year now and are on my second set of front tyres!! It has just been in for a service and Audi have told me the tyres have excessive wear on the outer edges. These tyres have only done 2000 miles you wouldn't mind but at £275 per corner its a joke. My mate has got exactly the same car as me a 3.0 tdi sportline with 21" wheels and he needs all 4 tyres replacing after just 6000 miles. My car is going in for a full wheel alingment next week but how long will this last ? I have already paid out £550 a few months ago only to be told i need not only the back tyres relaced but the reasonably new front ones as well. That puts me up to £1650 in a year !!!
I had exactly that problem and the alignment was done once at 7000 miles. I had two sets of tyres in 20,000 miles as they averaged a bit less than 10k each set.
However, after reading the forums and pumping up to 40psi to 42psi as a minimum and maximum and opting for budget Maxxis tyres instead of original Conti and then Pirelli, I find that the current set appears to be less than half worn at 10,000 miles. Result. And look at what I paid for them!

141 - 160 of 199 Posts