Audi Forums banner

41 - 60 of 198 Posts

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
You will not have to pay for an alignment check and dependent on mileage will get a contribution from Audi for new tyres, 100% if less than 10,000 miles. Ask the staff to verify this, information is on Audi Desktop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
...recommended tyre pressures

To add my 10p worth. I am approaching 6k miles and have worn the shoulders off my Goodyear tyres too. I was warned - as I drove away - by the dealer to keep a regular check on the tyres pressures - so I am guessing he knew about the issue. Sadly I didn't check them for 5k miles since the car is driven by my good lady on a daily basis. When I did the were rather low - 35F and 38R. I read p341 of the owners manual and was surprised to see the recommendation was to keep the tyre pressure set as for a maximum load - 44F and 49R. So I am guessing that my issue has been low pressures - though the gist of this thread might suggest otherwise. Anyway I will keep you all posted on my "new" settings and see what comes of it all.

Great car though - might do with a suspension drop I am thinking - anyone out there done this yet and how has that affected the tyres?

CD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tyre Wear On My 2007 Q7 4.2 Fsi

Hi...
Just Thought I Would Mention This....

I Collected My Q7 From My Dealer In Huntingdon On Sat 12th Jan,
I Did Notice Wear On The Tyres On The Front Wheels Outer Edge. I Did Mention This To The Sales Guy, But He Assurred Me It Was All Legal And Nothing To Worry About, Even Though I Quoted The Common Audi Problem With The Tyre Wear Issue ( Info From This Forum )...he Shrugged It Off ! I Was So Full Of The Joys Of Taking Delivery Of My Q7 I Put It To The Back Of My Mind....

The Car Has Covered 11,600 Miles.....

I Drove Home A Happy Bunny....

Then The Trouble Started....i Checked The Car Over In The Comfort Of My Own Driveway, And I Was Dumbstrucked To See The Entire Outer Edge Of The Two Front Tyres Totally Bald..! And I Mean Bald...! Only Covered 140 Miles From The Dealers Forecourt..!!!!!!

I Was Straight On The Phone To Audi Dealer, Monday Morning And They Said, Nothing To Worry About...just Pop Down And We Will Check It Out...
Being I Live About 120 Miles From The Dealer, This Was No Possible...

Then I Opted For The 30 Day Return Of Vehicle Audi Offer Its Customers...
Called The Dealer.....as Soon As I Mentioned They Was Taking The Car Back, Full Stop, They Then Admitted That There is A Tyre Problem With The Q7's....all New Customers Should Be Handed A Form Telling How You Should Be Driving Your Q7 To Prolong Tyre Wear.! I Was Not Handed Any Form Relating To This.....what A Good Dealer...ah???

The Car Is Now Back With The Dealer, On There Web Site Back Up For Sale.

My Advise To All The Good People On This Site....

Check This Out Before You Drive Away From The Dealer, And If Need Be, Get Them To Replace The Tyres There And Then...!

So As I Am No Longer An Audi Owner...my Time On This Site Is Done....

Regards
Jubbly

·
Registered
30 Posts
Check with your dealership....

I have just had a very interesting chat to my local dealer. I was taking my car back for the tailgate software update when I mentioned the tyre issue - immediate response was for me to have it booked in for a 4 wheel alignment check....and if deemed necessary - fit new tyres.

It appears that if the tyres have done less than 10k then the tyres are changed free - if the car has done 10~12k then it is a 50% contribution and if under 15K then it is a 25% contribution. I do have to add this will be dependent upon the results of the wheel alignment - but I am confident that I will have two new tyres by the end of the month - more on that then.

Second point was that tyres type is an option when ordering your new car - you can opt for off-road if you want - I am sure most of you know that of course - but I believe they will let you choose any tyre if you ask!!

If I am to have new tyres the Service Manager tells me that they will likely be Dunlop - harder wearing. Any thoughts anyone?

I have some Vredestein SUV tyres for £180 - might be giving them a try later on. Anybody fitted them yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dont Think So....

Just Crap Audi Dealers Trying To Get Away With Not Sorting A Well Known Issue Of Q7 Tyre Wear.....

Buy A Bmw.....much Better !!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
...or a Range Rover - tyres going to 30k doesn't seem a problem. Audi do have a major problem looming for the Q7 it would appear - so they appear to be doing their utmost to keep the current set of owners happy.

Turning the steering wheel is important I think.....

As for buying a BMW - had one - not a patch on Q7

·
Registered
5 Posts
To Be Honest, After Having Both....
My New X5 4.8is New Shape Is Far Better In My Mind.....
Bit More Money, But Still........
You Get What You Pay For Is My Motto....
Enjoy Your Q7...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tyre wear

I have just booked my Q7 in with my Leeds Audi dealer, who have said that they will replace the front tyres if needed as my car is on a 07 plate and has only done 5250 miles and the outer edges of the front tyres are bald!

The dealer has said that they will check the 4 wheel alignment and replace the tyres under warranty (if needed) as the car has done such low mileage.

I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Similar situation at Doncaster Audi. They did check my alignment and all was well - apparently. But advised me that I should go back before 10k miles for a further review - nice man.

However - I had to replace a tyre due to nail damage - and had an alignment check done at the same time - and it was out - significantly. I opted to leave the setting as it was so that I can challenge Audi at the 10k mark. I also took a printout from the tyre dealers latest and greatest alignment rig and gave it to the Audi engineer - who was interested but defended the Audi alignment rig.

But on the upside - the rear tyre I had to replace has done 8500 miles and was only less than half worn - the front ones don't look so good on the edges though.

PS Audi wanted £277 + fitting for one tyre. I got the same tyre for £180 fitted. Don't buy from Audi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, got my Q7 back from the Leeds Audi dealer today. FANTASTIC! They have replaced the 2 front tyres and done the 4 wheel alignment aswell as replaced the rubber seals under the front doors! These were getting tatty and starting to stick out at the bottom of the doors. I didn't even ask for this to be done! Any way all work done under authorisation from Audi UK at no cost to me. Great result!

Best advise is that if you need something doing under warranty, call Audi UK yourself first and get them to give you authorisation BEFORE taking it to your dealer. And always get some sort of reference number and the name of the person you speak with at Audi UK.

Their link is Audi UK > Customer Service > Contact Us

Their contact number is 0800 699888.

Hope this info is helpful......

·
Registered
6 Posts
The first of fords XR3's had the same problem, they were set up by fords for handing and grip at the expense of the rubber.
Check your tracking set point and try a new setting of 0 this solved the issue with the XR's
failing that it sounds like a caster/camber setting issue, again it might be set like this on purpose robbing peter to pay paul i.e. wear the tyres for the sake of handling.
try a straight edge on the rim vertical through the centre and put a small 12 inch spirit level on the straight edge . The top of the wheel should not be out futher than the bottom, if it is it will wear the outer edge, if it is futher in (by a lot) it will wear the inner egde.
good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've read how a few here find the Q7's tyre wear rate to be acceptable and frankly I am astonished. This is not a two wheel drive powerful car wearing its drive tyres out. This is a big Quattro and my diesel is not that powerful. Not significantly more powerful and certainly driven no differently from my previous Range Rover TD6 or Mercedes ML270 I had before that. My current daily drive is a Land Cruiser Amazon.
All these vehicles except the Audi have managed in excess of 30,000 miles on a set of tyres, the RR and Amazon averaged 35000 miles.

The Audi Q7 has now worn TWO sets of tyres out in 21,000 miles. Evenly. With mainly my wife driving rather sedately.
It costs me £750 per year plus VAT just in tyres to run this vehicle. That's 5p per mile in rubber and rising.

This is unacceptable and untenable. It is NOT normal wear. It IS a problem with the design.

FYI the first set were Conti's while the second are Michelin something-or-other Rosso.

I wish Audi would resolve this issue by changing some component or other because this thing will be down the road in another 5000 or so miles for another Range Rover or a Mercedes GL or Land Cruiser Amazon otherwise.

Forget the 'performance' and 'weight' excuse. I wasn't born yesterday and am not naive any more than the chap with the haulage business earlier in this thread. We both probably know more about heavy vehicles and tyre wear than most of the apologists for high running costs here.

Excuse the rant for a first post. It may be my first post 'here' but its certainly not my first post.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Dont Think So....

Just Crap Audi Dealers Trying To Get Away With Not Sorting A Well Known Issue Of Q7 Tyre Wear.....

Buy A Bmw.....much Better !!!!!
****,audi dealers arent crap and audi uk isnt audi its the importer.The q7 tyre wear issue has meny factors including you and how meny importers give this much goodwill certanly not bmw and there box on wheels:eek:

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Interesting what you say but all the forums of the models you mention have tyre wear threads with owners getting through sets of tyres between 8000 and 30000 miles so it's not just the Q7. I'm not a fan of the model myself, I call it a great big lumbering A2!!! :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Interesting what you say but all the forums of the models you mention have tyre wear threads with owners getting through sets of tyres between 8000 and 30000 miles so it's not just the Q7. I'm not a fan of the model myself, I call it a great big lumbering A2!!! :D
The BMW X5 was delivered with similar alignment problems to the Q7 and indeed my Q7 suffered also. The second set on the X5 lasted 30k miles while the second set on the Q7, which are wearing consistently evenly, will be illegal after 11,000 miles of mild country road use with one maybe 500 miles of motorway.
My Land Cruiser was also delivered with front alignment out and this took far more visits to the dealer to resolve than the Q7. However after the first set I have consistently managed 35,000 miles per set over 150,000 miles so far on this vehicle and it is heavier and driven harder on average than the Q7.
Having owned so many vehicles over the years, including a 90 Quattro and a Jaguar XK8 and so many SUV's I've lost count, there is not a cat in Hell's chance of anybody pulling the wool over my eyes by saying that this tyre wear should be 'expected' or is 'normal'.
It may be normal for a Q7 but it is not 'normal' per se and certainly not acceptable for a top end vehicle from a company that has 'Vorsprung durch technic' as a slogan.

They should get it sorted pronto.

41 - 60 of 198 Posts