Audi Forums banner
21 - 40 of 199 Posts
Mines an ABT version with 295/30 tyres - ex-demo and done 8k miles (March registration). Tyres seem fine atm, but I think I'll keep a close eye on them ...

dazrob said:
I contacted my local Audi dealer, spoke to the service manager who told me he had just received an email from Audi regarding the Q7 tyre wear. It basicaly said if tyre wear is present the dealer must do an alignment check, if the check is ok the customer has to then pay for the alignment (£120), if the alignment is out Audi will contribute 50% towards the tyres if the vehicle has covered less than 8000 miles and 25% if the vehicle has covered between 8000-10000 miles, if the vehicle has covered more than 10000 miles then no contribution will be made.
Got my car back and this is what Audi UK told my dealer as well

As my wheel alignment was well out they paid for that no problem but Audi UK refuse to pay for new tyres. My dealer, bless them, weren't happy about this and have registered a complaint higher up the chain so I guess we'll have to see what comes of that.

My PDC is working fine now, I have all new sensors but the monkeys have left some oil stains in the boot and passenger well :mad: so there's going to hell to pay fot that.

MMI is still broken....looks to me that these dealers don't really understand the "computer" side of stuff and this whole MMI system has to be looked at by an external company so it's off there shortly.

I'll keep you guys posted on the tyres progree but my advice to anyone getting a new Q7 is to have the alignment checked ASAP to avoid any costly problems later

Si

bmw x5 doesnt wear tyres think not

a8 tech[SIZE=2 said:
Ive been talking to a few bmw and range rover lads and we all agree the new softer compound tyres are a compromise for the great handling of the Q7 and they also suffer from short service life of there tyres.So after resetting wheel alignment and taking in to account the camber movement of the suspension in all modes it looks like the only answer to you tyre wear is to fit a harder compound tyre and lose the great handling of the Q7 or accept it and replace the tyres.Wheel alignment is carried out to a static vehicle and not dynamic so the movement of these great beasts is hard to judge but if the suspension was softer the handling would be reduced but the tyre wear would improve so which do you wont.I am not even going to mention the porsche and the merc as they are worse but have less complaints as there customers accept it and may be they have more money.BMW X5 owners - Wheels-InMotion[/SIZE]
looks like all the big guns have tyre wear

I have read this thread with interest.

I'm afraid gentlemen you have to accept wear of 8 - 10,000 miles as appropriate for such a vehicle & suspension set up.

Over many year of car ownership, I have had cars where this has happened & replaced the front tyres at these sort of distances, with little whimper.

Instead, I suggest you enjoy the vehicles but be prepared for these type of consequences when purchasing cars of a certain caliber :D

OK,

The dealer is still trying to get Audi UK to folk out for some tyres so it's nice to have some support :mad: and the MMI problem has been traced to a "broken" phone module so this is being replaced

Si

audiowner said:
I have read this thread with interest.

I'm afraid gentlemen you have to accept wear of 8 - 10,000 miles as appropriate for such a vehicle & suspension set up.

Over many year of car ownership, I have had cars where this has happened & replaced the front tyres at these sort of distances, with little whimper.

Instead, I suggest you enjoy the vehicles but be prepared for these type of consequences when purchasing cars of a certain caliber :D
I don't think this is the point, our point is we were supplied with a vehicle from new that wasn't set up correctly as the alignment has been out from the get go.

This original problem has only now been highlighted by the tyre wear on the edges.

Si

Hope you get it sorted with the tyres, although some people here will argue this point centres want to keep your business and will fight your corner, also believe me that the master technicians do understand the MMI and MOST bus systems however like any computing hardware sometimes software issues can make diagnosis a pain.

Badger61 said:
Hope you get it sorted with the tyres, although some people here will argue this point centres want to keep your business and will fight your corner, also believe me that the master technicians do understand the MMI and MOST bus systems however like any computing hardware sometimes software issues can make diagnosis a pain.
Yeah I guess your right.

If this your website BTW ? THE ORIGINAL Badger Badger Badger.com! LOL

Si

Audi replaced both front tyres after 6500 miles on my 3.0 td Q7, but not before I made a lot of noise on the issue. Audi Cust serv coughed up 50%, Dealer other 50%. Problem wont go away though, another 6 months from now, tyres shall be the same I guess. If Audi are looking at it, good but I dont know what the solution shall be.

There is no solution as there is no problem,it is tyre wear and thats it.The wheel aligment is correct from the factory but the explanation from the sales department is at best brief.Soft compound tyre will take the strain of these big beasts and no matter what you do to the camber and tow the fact is the tyres will not reach the drivers expected service life,however there is enough info about to inform the user of this issue as it isnt a fault as is brake pads the bigger the stopping force the more wear will occur.

a8 tech said:
There is no solution as there is no problem,it is tyre wear and thats it.The wheel aligment is correct from the factory but the explanation from the sales department is at best brief.Soft compound tyre will take the strain of these big beasts and no matter what you do to the camber and tow the fact is the tyres will not reach the drivers expected service life,however there is enough info about to inform the user of this issue as it isnt a fault as is brake pads the bigger the stopping force the more wear will occur.
Well hello all ive not been on the forums for a while,

Now on my second set of tyres at 18000 miles,

I have had no luck with the dealers at all who are standing by what they say is acceptable wear.

I know at least four people through friends and family who own a Q7 and they are all very unhappy with tyre wear, one close friend who owns a 2007 model has just replaced his at 5000 miles.

To the A8 tech, yes as i have posted elsehere in this thread its a big heavy, power steered car with big tyres and so are the 25 HGV Trucks we run and operate and they do not wear tyres at such a rate.
We also have five 3.5 tonne transit vans that run around fully loaded with that are averaging between 60000 and 80000 miles per set. go figure.

I see when you but the Q7 you can order for £150 extra off road tyres, I presume high profile, would these not last longer? Maybe the ride wont be so good though. If we can get 10K out of the tyres I am ok, I have owned big BMW's and the tyres wear out in 7-8 K so the Audi is not that bad, shop about you can get the tyres cheaper. As far as service is concerened, I really dont feel that Audi is any worse than BMW or Merc, (certainly not Merc), Its as usual down to the local dealer.

Well said and thank you a voice of reason

Tyre where?

While in the market for a Q7, and not yet an owner, I decided to read the forums to find out what issues, if any, actual Q7 owners were experiencing.

Reading this forum, I have a few simple questions...
1. It seems if tyre or tire wear is a problem for the Q7s patrolling the freeways of the UK. Is this true?
2. What brand of tyre or tire does your Q7 come with upon delivery?
3. Do you think the composition of the trye or tire has anything to do with it?
I mean the Q7 is a really heavy car, isn't it?

Lastly I live in the US, does any US drivers have issues with tyre or tire wear?

Thanks in advance, Wil

21 - 40 of 199 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.