Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 TT bogs down as stated in the previous post. When I accelerate it hesitates, I floor it and after a few seconds with the pedal to the floor it takes off …only to lose power again on the next acceleration.

A new fuel pump did not correct it. Then I was told it was the air filter…wrong again!

When the MAF sensor is unplugged it runs fine, no hesitation at all. Does this mean the MAF sensor is bad? If so, can I drive it with the MAF unplugged while I wait for the part to arrive?

I’ve already replaced just about everything on this car, including the motor, but I love it and guess I’ll keep making repairs. Any suggestions what the problem may be before I purchase a new MAF?

·
Registered
149 Posts
:mellow:
I am assuming MAF is the Mass Air Sensor (MAS). It sits right after the air filter and I guess it determines the amount of air entering the engine so that the computer can make adjustments on the fuel flow etc.
:(
Sorry Tabby, I have no idea how to answer your question but it sounds like the sensor is out and dont know what the principle of operation is. From what I have seen, it is simple enough to remove and check that there is no blockage - although there shouldnt be unless something got passed your air filter! Not sure if there any user servicable parts inside, I am guessing not.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
First of all - in the united states its called a MAFS (mass air flow sensor) so neither of you are 100% correct :) but its all good... we know what you mean B)

Many other contries refer to it as a MAP sensor which measures the change in air pressure in the intake system

The MAFS measures the actual volume of air entering the engine. This is important because the engine computer needs to know how much air to mix with fuel to make the best compression.

The answer to your question regarding the safety of driving w/o the sensor pluged in is... maybe.

Even without the sensor, the engine knows roughly how much gas to release into the cylanders. Your car may not run as efficiently or quickly with out it, but it wont cause any long term damage.

It is something that you want to get fixed. Long term driving w/o a MAFS can lead to timing and compression problems. In the meantime, drive your TT w/o the unit plugged in, but dont run high RPMs (i'd say shift earlier than normal - dont go over 4500rpm) Audi/VW MAFS arnt hard to come by - there are a few for sale on ebay. Don't pay over $100 for it tho.

·
Registered
149 Posts
:D
We bow down to the superior knowledge of our mighty moderator.

Thanks Brad, I always appreciate that you are on the ball with the feedback. I only learned the term recently when I was looking into installing a K&N air filter and they have very detailed instructions on how to do it properly. I had previously seen the gadget after the air filter & also wondered what it was!
B)
My TT is the first car I am taking such interest in. I was very much a fuel in the back, air in the tires and drive kinda guy in the past!

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts