Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been largely happy with my 2000 A6 which I purchased new; however, I am now living a nightmare with an annoying problem that started with my 60K service. After dropping $3500, I soon noticed a loud but short lived squeal when the car is stone cold in winter time weather.

The problem was difficult for the dealer to duplicate and simply stopped happening in the spring when the overnight temps rose. We agreed that I would take it back in the winter when it started again.

The dealer (New Country of Greenwich, CT) now dissavows any responsibility for the problem, indicating that I waited too long to bring it back! After quoting me another $1000 to tear the engine down and trouble shoot to identify the actual cause (yes $1000 just to diagnose) I picked the car up and paid my $150 diag fee. Ive now been dealing with Audi cust relations and having them act as the go between because the dealer (svc manager) has been argumentative and generally unwilling to provide good customer service. They actually told the cust relations people that they had diagnosed it as the serpentine belt and tensioners which will run about $250. When I asked why they hadn't told me this from the beginning, they said that they did. So at this point, I simply have no confidence in their technical skills or integrity.

In addition to recommendations on what the realistic cause would be, does anyone have a recomnendation on who to complain to about the service dept which may get me some real action?

Anyone have any similar stories with this dealership?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It sounds like the main belt. It's incorrect adjustment or just an old belt.

Usually, it's the most obvious problem. Here's a funny story about a Mercedes dealer. A guy has a new Mercedes with the IR key. It's a system where you place this module in a holder and a motor actuates to read it and it starts the car. There is no conventional 'key'. Well, it stopped working so he had it in the dealer. They went through 'everything'. They replaced the wiring harness, readers, etc. They couldn't figure it out so they gave him an option. They'd either give him a brand new car off the lot or, as luck had it, he could wait a week when a team from Germany would be there doing their rounds. Well, he chose to wait with a loaner car. The German team came, looked at the car and said that the motor that works the reader had simply died. This is something that is clearly audible when working.

A long story short, I have been working on my own cars and bikes for years after similar bad experiences with all sorts of brand dealers, both domestic and foreign. In my experience, it is rare to find a dealer, at least in the US, that has a passion about about cars rather than a need for profit. The dealers, though, tend to play on consumers' fears and paranoias. Usually that sudden squeal or strange click is just something simple. But we tend to think the worst and wonder if the engine is about to die. :mellow:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts