Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been having problems starting up my 2001 A4 1.8T(purchased new in July 2001). The first time this happened, the car wouldn't start. It wasn't the battery, because it was turning over. After a dozen or so tries, it finally started, but then the check engine light went on. However, it worked perfectly fine. This morning, started up my car, check engine light was off. Car was running fine. Just now, tried to start it again, and same thing happened...the car struggled to start, and it took a good 10 tries before it fired.

any ideas what could be wrong? just wondering what to expect when i bring it to a mechanic.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
could be many of things really.... spark plugs?? HT leads lose? fault Coil pack (however you can normal start it) Blocked fuel filter? dodgy starter motor?? highely unlikely, poor fuel, (you have not added any addatives rencently have you?) Turbo issue?

This is one of them where really you need to connect it to VAG-COM and view the fault codes.

Rick

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your input! the first time i brought it to get the codes read, it said there was something wrong with my cooling temperature sensor. but then the Check Engine light went off. would a faulty cooling temp sensor cause the car to have trouble starting?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
no.. the coolent sensor would of reported a fault like.. Temp Sensor signal to low... its common the for lower sensor on the bottom of the Radiator which fails and triggers the engine light but wont affect the starting.

Suggest getting it back on VAG-COM

Rickt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!

but the check engine light is off now...so will the VAG-COM even read anything faulty? when i bring it to get it checked, i am told that the check engine light has to be on.

thanks for everyone's help! it's really appreciated...

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
no..

faults are logged in the history and does not always bring the engine light on depending on Fault..

If its engine related it does, however if its not at fault while the engine is running it wont be casuing an issue so the light will not come on.

Get youself a ODB2 from Ebay for about £10 and download a shareware copy from VAG-COM from Ross-Tech: Home then you can see the faults yourself.

Rickt

Rickt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts