Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2001 audi a4 2.8 quattro Tipt transmission and I was recomended by my regular mechanic that I should get a transmission flush but he is unable to do it. I have called to various places around town and no seems to be able to give me a firm answer on this.

How many litres of fluid will i end up requiring, and when they flush it do they actually do a complete flush or just drop the pan replace the filter and seal and refill it back up?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is true that Audi does not mention a trans flush and they make it hard as hell to do. From over pricing the parts to making it a royal pain in the a$$ to complete but it really should be done. With a healthy transmission, you will be amazed at the difference. I just completed mine, took me a while longer than usual and spent more money because of the amount of fluid I had to use, but the ride into work today was great, smooth and quiet.
I used about 12 qts. of Valvoline mercon V about $4..it's BS that audi fluid is the only fluid..Audi wanted $14
1 small all purpose hand pump, about $8 at autozone
1 foot 3/8 soft copper tubing from hardware store.
2 hose clamps
1 filter and gasket (audi wanted $152)
step 1 was the longest, drain and refill daily until the fluid went from a filthy dark black to something resembling the color of the mercon...about 3 fill/drains.
car must be level
to drain, remove drain plug
to fill, remove fill cap, assemble hand pump with 6 inches of straight copper clamped to the intake hose then placed in the new fluid
the other 6 inches was bent into a hook and clamped to the 'out' hose of the pump.
I put my finger in the fill hole and felt a cover that moves and has a cut out in it, about 3 inched inside the pan, I put my finger in the hole then rotated it until there is nothing behind the cutout, then removed my finger and put the hook into hole and through cut out as far as it could go then pumped in fluid until it started to drip back out, started the car and pumped more fluid until it started to come back out then reinstalled fill plug BEFORE TURNING OFF THE VEHICLE.
Here is another few problems, I needed a 17mm allen wrench to remove the fill plug, they are a bit difficult to find.
no dipstick so you really do not know how much fluid you have and if you are high or low.
so after the fluid started to get cleaner, I removed the pan and old filter, what a mess. The magnets were totally covered, doubtful the would collect any more shavings, sludge on bottom of pan..lifetime fluid my A$$...
thorough cleaning of the pan, let the tranny drain over night, replace filter, replace gasket, screw in 27 or so screws and refill.
What I did was fill with the engine cold until some dripped out then when running until some dripped out, drive for a bit then check by putting it up on a lift and removing the fill plug and if nothing came out, add more. But what came out was not equal to what I had put in (good thing I was keeping track) so I waited until the next day and when cold, put it up and it took about 2 more quarts which was about right. 1 way to tell if you are low is that you will feel the shifts and it will run a bit rough, hesitate from stop to move but when there is enough fluid, runs smooth. Now this is how I did mine, an auto for an '01 2.8 fwd and I post this not as a how to but to explain what it took for me to get the job done to my satisfaction so if you use this procedure, please do so at your own risk

·
Registered
2 Posts
HELP HELP HELP...I have an A4 Avant 2005. I have had nothing but transmission problems. I have 8,020 miles and it is in the shop for the 3rd. time. When coming to a stop it sounds like the transmission is going to fall out. I had put 3,000 miles on it before it started acting up again. Audi has told me they have flashed the system out and they aren't sure what to do now. (yeah, right) I have taken this car in 3 times now in less then a year. One more time before my year is up and it will be classified in my state as a lemon. I am afraid that they will fix it and right after my year is up it will start acting up again and I will be stuck with this car that has been nothing but trouble for me, pretty much since day one. I am open to suggestions and certainly still like Audi's. I just got a bum one. I don't know what to do. I tried calling the owner of Audi (my parents are friends with him) but of course he is on vacation. My car has been in the shop for 1 week tomorrow and I haven't heard from the service department for for a few days now. Is this a standard thing for the A4's? I have EVERYTHING documented, including emails from the service manager, conversations written out. Times and dates. I just want them to fix it or put me in an identical car as what I have. Is that going to be possible? I feel like I am totally getting the run around. I am just about at my wits end.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Lacoats69 Man I would seek a lawyer on your car, it sound's like you have a real problem. I really feel for you. regardless if the Audi owner is a friend of your parent's they can't get away with it. Good Luck mate.

wtc2388
I think it's great that you have been able to do your own tranny oil change. I have not been game to go there. I have been told to only use the recommended Tranny oil and nothing else. I am going to look int your suggestion about oil's because here in Australia the cheapest i can get the oil for my wifes A4 is $48.00 Au dollars per litre. How many KM have you done since your oil change and has every thing been OK?
Thanks
Addam

·
Registered
2 Posts
All Audi VW Parts and Service
7180 Newton St
Westminster, CO 80030
303-428-6161

They do just about everything cheaper than the dealer.
I was told to do a transmission flush every 50,000 miles. Most dealers will tell you every 100,000 miles or that you dont need to because there is a lifetime synthetic fluid in the car. My friend just replaced the whole triptonic transmission system in a 98 audi a4 avant and said it is a nightmare and very expensive. (I believe around 13 to 15 hours in labor).
The best place I have found to have your audi seviced is the shop I listed above

The best and least expensive place to get you transmission fluid flushed the correct way by preasureing the fluids out and in draining neary 100% of the fluid and replaceing the filter is:

Avanced Transmission Center.

They charge anywhere from $200 to $250. Anwhere else charges around $550and most including the Audi Dealer do not use a preasure machine to get all the fluids out. They only drain the fluids from underneath like oil and then refill. I have made alot of calls on this subject and am taking my audi in on wednsday to Advanced Transmission Center.
They have 2 locations around Denver. Hope this helps. And Spread the Word.
Crashon

Northwest Metro
(303) 421.4140
At the corner of 44th Ave. and Wadsworth
7650 W. 44th Ave.
Wheat Ridge, CO 80033
HOURS: 8am - 5:30pm Monday - Friday
E-mail Us | Map and Directions

Southwest Metro
(303) 922.4102
S.E. Corner of Mississippi and Pierce
1194 S. Pierce