Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving home last night in my 98 A3 1.8t, and there was a sudden loudish bang, as if i hit something on the road (i didnt SEE anything) followed by a very short scrapping sound, then silence. i put it into neutral and blipped the throttle to make sure the engine was still running, then switched it off and coasted to a stop on the hard shoulder.

it was so dark and cold that i really couldnt see much at all, but i know for sure its transmission fluid pouring out of the bottom, the engine oil has remained at the same level. the the masses of oil under the car are surely gearbox oil.

is there anything under the engine thats particularly easy to damage which could lead to transmission fluid leaking out? i recently changed teh sump after a nasty incident with a bridge (its the model without the oil level sender underneath), and that appears to be fine....

its definately leaking from the gearbox side.

is there any chance it could be power steering fluid?where is the pump located?

i havnt yet had a look in day light, but if anyone has any ideas as to what might have happened, or what it might cost me to fix, that would be awesome

thanks

a rather sorry bus catching Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey
Just read your post. I have just had a similar thing happen to me (random, pretty loud) scraping sound from under the car but I am not aware of having hit anything. Engine seemed fine and no fluid leaks. Sounded as if something (like the exhaust) was scraping along the ground, but nothing visible.
I see that this post was a while ago, just wondering what the problem with your car was???
I drive a 51 plate facelift S3 btw.
Cheers
Johnny

1 - 2 of 2 Posts