Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the front struts that I replaced on my b4 90 and don't know the top strut mount nut torque spec....anyone care to tell me please??? :D I've gone from snug to really tight and it still ends up loosening....am I doing something wrong or should I be using the blue locktite?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really? man, out of all people I figured YOU would know...haha. ok well if you have a way of finding out that'd be awesome! and greatly helpful...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quote:
Mance: when installing any strut mount, regardless if OEM/aftermarket and/or with OEM/aftermarket springs/coilovers the upper spring perch must rest squarely on top of the shoulder at the base of the strut's threaded hydraulic shaft. The strut mount's thrust bearing base must then sit atop and in direct contact with the upper spring perch's top. Then the slotted nut is installed on the strut's threaded shaft thru the center bore of the strut mount's thrust bearing and tightened against that thrust bearing's "rotational" base. The slotted nut once tightened locks the struts hydraulic threaded shaft, upper spring perch and the strut mount's thrust bearing together.

The actual strut mount at that point could be easily tapped off of it's thrust bearing as they are only a light "press-fit" assembly. It's the weight of the car on top of the strut mount that keeps the mount firmly seated on its thrust bearing which is, as previously mentioned tightened against the shoulder at the strut's threaded base shoulder with the thrust bearing and upper spring perch "sandwiched" between the 22mm nut, cupped washer and strut shoulder at base of strut threads.

Sounds more complicated than it is but bottom line is EVERYTHING in that "stack assembly" MUST be tightened against the strut's threaded base.

You "could" install a shim/spacer washer below the upper perch strut base or between the upper perch's thrust bearing seat and the thrust bearing but ya can't just "free-float" the slotted nut on the threaded shaft since the strut mount would just fall down on to and against the threaded base once the weight of the car is lowered on to the strut mount.

I got this info from Motorgeek.com It should be able to help you out. People are saying torque no more then 40 but others say different. I hope this helps you.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Is it the top nut only that is loosening up and not the slot nut?

When you are tightening the top nut, you must hold the strut shaft in place. Otherwise, the slot nut is likely to back off, which will cause an awful racket when the suspension cycles.

I don't know what the torque spec is, but I doubt I ever put more than 40 lb-ft on that nut. And sometimes with coil overs, the perch is so thick that you don't get contact with the nylon insert.

I have never had the 22mm nut back off, but before I knew better, I tightened the 22mm with an impact wrench, which caused the strut shaft to spin clockwise, which effectively turned the slot nut counterclockwise, which caused the awful racket I mention above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts