Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just purchased an a4 avant 1.8t 2003. It came with 31000 miles and the tires are about finished. I have 17 inch rims and live in Aspen, COlorado. Any suggestions on what type of tires i should get?
DO i get winter specific or all season tires? I found some rims and tires on ebay for 900 for the 4 tires and wheels.
Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think once you've used "all season" tyres, you'll quickly discover that they do not perform very well in "any season".
Because of their tread design and a rubber compound that hardens at a considerably higher temperature than winter tires, they really aren't very good in winter. They pretty much under perform in summer as well.
I have 4 summers (on my mag rims) and 4 winter tyres (on steel rims) and the performance is exceptional. The combination of Quattro and winter tyres provides outstanding traction in snow conditions. Come summer I switch tyres and use "Z" rated performance tyres which are great.
Having two sets of rims makes it easy to switch tyres (tyres are already installed and balanced) and saves the mags from corrosion in the winter.
Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts