Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings I have a 98 audi a6 that has 98000 miles I need to change the timing belt but when I called around for pricing they told me I had to do the water pump and someother thing also is at true???

·
Registered
186 Posts
Absolutely get the water pump changed at the same time. Its alot of work and expense to get the timing belt done and you would have to repeat most of it to replace the water pump at a later date. The other thing they will likely replace is the tensioner for the timing belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
so, it means only change water pump, timing belt, tensioner at the same time.is it right?

Is it any other part need to be done when I change the timing belt?

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
That should be about it, but I suggest you get going on this. With 98,000 miles on your engine you are way past the recommended interval for changing the timing belt and probably at considerable risk of it breaking. You don't want to know how much that would cost to fix!!

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
lol yea i never heard of someone going that long for a relatively normal maintence

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
you should be surpised some cars go over 120K without a belt job

·
Registered
2 Posts
you should be surpised some cars go over 120K without a belt job
That might be the one I'm getting.

New to the forum here. Thanks to the moderators for the warm welcome.

'Picking up a 2000 Avant A6 with 124K on it. While I would have prefered an A6 that showed a documention or Carfax that the T belt was performed within the scheduled time, I got this one and it doesn't show in the Carfax or anywhere else. Before I embark on the task, armed with a lot of useful information from this forum, I'd like to find out if there is a simple, less time consuming way of removing cam or belt covers to inspect the T belt for cracks or frays without removing practically the whole front of the car to get at the belts. I don't have the car here yet to try to figure that out. This would give me a little more peace of mind because even though I'm aware of the urgency to replace the belt with the interferance issue of this engine, I need to drive it for a couple of weeks until I could get the complete kit with the tensioners, water pump and seals.
Any tips on how to check will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts