Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. this is my first post.

I need your opinions/advice on of I need tie rods replaced.

56 K miles, single owner/driver.........I take the car for service......it has also been making a grinding noise each time I turn front wheels. No vibration on steering & car drives straight.

Tech tells me tie rods need replacing & will cost $149 each.........everything included will come to about $500K.

he wants me to take care of it soon & that I need t avoid potholes or anything else that can shock the system. If that happens, the expense may be more.

I moved to him from my dealership ( Princeton Audi) 'cause they treat people like dirt .....very snotty & long wait times for little things.
So far this tech has been pretty fair, in my opinion........he is honest with me about Audi's being built for performance but poorly made in many respects.

Your advice & recommendations will be much appreciated. ;)

Mom In NJ

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
i have a 98 a4 2.8l and i have the same prob. i sprayed some wd-40 and the sound seemed to go away, but im still going to get them replaced. thanx for the link sean.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey NJ2000,

Those ebay tie rod ends look like a great deal, thanks to Sean for the ebay link. However, you might want to check out the parts from a well known Audi supplier like Blaufergnugen. They have some descriptions on their site about problems with OEM replacements and an improved tie rod end. Here's the link:

Audi VW Improved Tie Rods Rod Ends Assembly - Audi A4 Tie Rods Rod Improved - Audi S4 Tie Rods Rod Improved - Audi A6 Tie Rods Rod Improved - Audi A8 Tie Rods Rod Improved - Audi S8 Tie Rods Rod Improved - VW Passat Tie Rods Rod Improved - Audi VW Tie Rod Ends Assembly - Audi Parts Wholesale Discount Prices

Sorry for the above link, when I paste the real url into here it gives this thing.
blauparts.com/featured_items/a4_tie_rod.shtml

and I see they are selling them on ebay (outer only) for $43 a pair - they also have an ebay store with the inners and you can make them an offer too. Here's the link:

eBay Motors: Audi A4 S4 S6 Tie Rod End Ends Qty2 HIGH QÜALTÄT TÜV (item 300020016256 end time Aug-28-06 09:31:09 PDT)

VB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts