Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have noticed that my A4 once in a while emits three beeps from the rear of the car, (was even louder with the boot open), just after starting. The car is fine but i'm just curious and hope it is not a prelude to some problem.
Any insights into this will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
The battery backup batteries in the alarm siren are failing.Audi dont supply spare batteries,only the siren but you can replace them if you strip the siren.I cant remember what type they are,so its a case of removing and finding a replacement from maplins or similar electrical stores.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info 'O wise 1'. Do you know where this thing is located and what i'm looking out for? What happens if i dont replace them?

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
passenger side rear luggage compartment,you could leave it but the siren will be inop if the car is broken into

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, will check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
passenger side rear luggage compartment,you could leave it but the siren will be inop if the car is broken into
Im just curious as i never knew the alarm siren had battery back up power:eek:, is this the reason why the alarm siren is so quiet when it goes off ?? When you say back up does this mean if someone gets under the bonnet and disconects the main battery the back up ones kick in ??

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
yes t sport,also you can adapt the siren for different tones

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Yes let those yobs break into the car without any interferance from noisey sirens as the police dont wont to be disturbed.
  • +00001 = GB-Alarm (not USA)
  • +00002 = Confirmation Anti-Theft Warning System (Blink)
  • +00004 = Selective Central Locking (SCL)
  • +00008 = Anti-Theft Warning System
  • +00016 = Rear Lid Release Locking at 5 km/h
  • +00032 = Central Locking at 15 km/h (or 10 mph)
  • +00064 = Comfort Function via Remote Control (not USA)
  • +00128 = Right Hand Drive (RHD)
  • +00256 = Avant
  • +00512 = Confirmation Close via Remote (1x Blink)
  • +01024 = Confirmation Anti-Theft Warning Sytem Horn Activation
  • +02048 = Door-/Window Regulator Logic
  • +04096 = Thatcham Anti-Theft Warning (not USA)
  • +08192 = No Safe-Function
  • +16384 = Side Windows with Insulated Glass
Note: Coding is the sum of the individual options. Not all options apply for all control moduls

·
Registered
6 Posts
To expand on this just a bit, I had some time today as my 2002 A4 3.0 was doing the same three beeps...I assumed it was the same deal...I pulled the passenger side luggage compartment interior panel (which was a job in and of itself-must pull rear trunk plastic guard off (4 circlips and two nuts and disconnect the trunk light) then pulled the tiedowns (two torx bolts ea.) then pulled the panel (3 circlips towards the aft end, 1 metal tab on the top (you can see this without having the panel pulled unlike the circlips which are behind the panel-I used an interior pry tool for all circlips being very careful-you can damage the clips or holders if you don't know how to pry on them) and lastly don't forget the small plastic clip on the top center of the panel (get your tool under the small tab and pull out until the whole deal comes out-see pic)

I also found that you need to put the rear seat down and gently pull the panel out from behind the interior-I didn't pull mine all the way out from under the seat as I found I could get to the parts needed without pulling the panel all the way out. (Don't forget to disconnet the wire to the 12vDC outlet)

Once behind the panel I found lots of cool things...the manual gas filler panel release(accessable w/out pulling the panel)...I knew it was somewhere back there:cool:..., the auto lock mechanism, what I think is the amp for the Bose sterio system, and lastly the alarm. A word of caution, when you disconect it sounds...not for long though, and when I reconnected it to get it to turn off, it got louder...a lot louder. it does shut off after a few seconds (I don't know if that is a function of the battery going or normal ops) you disconnect it by getting a thumbnail under the tab and pulling up on the whole connector, it pops right off.

So I'm stuck now...the whole alarm piece is sealed and since it says "Ni-MH" (Nickel Metal Hydride) on it I'm guessing this is the battery that needs replaced...I'm going to call the dealer and see what the part costs but I'd really like to confirm that this will fix the 3 beep issue first...

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes let those yobs break into the car without any interferance from noisey sirens as the police dont wont to be disturbed.
  • +00001 = GB-Alarm (not USA)
  • +00002 = Confirmation Anti-Theft Warning System (Blink)
  • +00004 = Selective Central Locking (SCL)
  • +00008 = Anti-Theft Warning System
  • +00016 = Rear Lid Release Locking at 5 km/h
  • +00032 = Central Locking at 15 km/h (or 10 mph)
  • +00064 = Comfort Function via Remote Control (not USA)
  • +00128 = Right Hand Drive (RHD)
  • +00256 = Avant
  • +00512 = Confirmation Close via Remote (1x Blink)
  • +01024 = Confirmation Anti-Theft Warning Sytem Horn Activation
  • +02048 = Door-/Window Regulator Logic
  • +04096 = Thatcham Anti-Theft Warning (not USA)
  • +08192 = No Safe-Function
  • +16384 = Side Windows with Insulated Glass
Note: Coding is the sum of the individual options. Not all options apply for all control moduls
How do you use these codes? thanks, T.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
You will require vag com for these codes are added or subtracted to configure your final coding of the control unit for central locking so if you choose to remove the alarm siren sounding then subtract 01 for example from the code and see what happens,always note down the code so you can reset the original.Best posting your coding and i will try to work it out for you

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
To expand on this just a bit, I had some time today as my 2002 A4 3.0 was doing the same three beeps...I assumed it was the same deal...I pulled the passenger side luggage compartment interior panel (which was a job in and of itself-must pull rear trunk plastic guard off (4 circlips and two nuts and disconnect the trunk light) then pulled the tiedowns (two torx bolts ea.) then pulled the panel (3 circlips towards the aft end, 1 metal tab on the top (you can see this without having the panel pulled unlike the circlips which are behind the panel-I used an interior pry tool for all circlips being very careful-you can damage the clips or holders if you don't know how to pry on them) and lastly don't forget the small plastic clip on the top center of the panel (get your tool under the small tab and pull out until the whole deal comes out-see pic)

I also found that you need to put the rear seat down and gently pull the panel out from behind the interior-I didn't pull mine all the way out from under the seat as I found I could get to the parts needed without pulling the panel all the way out. (Don't forget to disconnet the wire to the 12vDC outlet)

Once behind the panel I found lots of cool things...the manual gas filler panel release(accessable w/out pulling the panel)...I knew it was somewhere back there:cool:..., the auto lock mechanism, what I think is the amp for the Bose sterio system, and lastly the alarm. A word of caution, when you disconect it sounds...not for long though, and when I reconnected it to get it to turn off, it got louder...a lot louder. it does shut off after a few seconds (I don't know if that is a function of the battery going or normal ops) you disconnect it by getting a thumbnail under the tab and pulling up on the whole connector, it pops right off.

So I'm stuck now...the whole alarm piece is sealed and since it says "Ni-MH" (Nickel Metal Hydride) on it I'm guessing this is the battery that needs replaced...I'm going to call the dealer and see what the part costs but I'd really like to confirm that this will fix the 3 beep issue first...
Carefully cut the casing and you will see the battery which can be replaced with a little modification

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've not hooked a computer up to the car before or tried to use any program (like vag com) I looked it up and it looks like there is a new version...I assume I don't need the latest and greatest since my car is a 2002 model? Is there anything I need to know before I get into hooking up the computer to the car? I'll do a little more research on the program as well.

As for cutting into the battery,not sure where on the casing I should cut into or what kind of modifing I'll need to do once in there...there is a seam around it but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put it back together again, could you explain a bit more?

Thanks for all the help..saving some dough here...called the dealer today, they want $255.18 for a new "siren" which I assume would fix my problem as well, but it's more fun to explore! ...as long as I don't end up costing my self more $$ to fix my mistake...

T.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone completed this battery replace and have pics start to end? What kind of batteries are they? My 2002 did same thing then about 2 weeks ago, the beeping stopped. It appears the alarm is working fine since I can trigger it and it sounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my audi does this very same thing

So i posted a very similar question on another forum as well. Several people responded by saying that the problem is the backup batteries in the alarm. You can modify the batteries (which seems risky to me) or put a new whole "siren" in for 300 some odd dollars. I don't know how to get vag codes or even what vag codes are, so i may need some help on that one. I'm new to Audi's and new to foreign cars in general. When i roll up the windows and lock the car using the remote it chirps one time as normal. Another note though, I am having trouble making the alarm go off unless the window is rolled down and i use the inside door handle to open the door and then start the car using the key. The alarm in this case is then triggered. I cannot however get the alarm to trigger by me just pulling on the handle or rocking the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok i don't know if this is a fix or not. I had the same problem with the three beeps when my audi started only at the beginning of each morning. I took my audi to the dealership for other issues and told him about it and also told him that my car was always dead when it sat for two weeks. He told me they would look at it and they did. They hooked a battery tester up to my car and found nothing. They did more extensive searching and tested the battery with another tool and found that one of the cells in the battery was periodically shorting the rest of the battery out. This was draining the battery on my security system. They replaced the battery and the beeping continued but only for two weeks. Once the security battery becamse charged it stopped all together and i haven't heard it since. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts