Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Looking at buying a 98 A4 2.8 Quattro. Car looks and drives perfect. I want to take it to a mechanic to check it over. Unfortunately I don't know any Audi experts in Toronto to take it to.

Any suggestions on what I should make sure the mechanic inspects?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Steve

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Originally posted by hafilax@Mar 27 2005, 09:21 PM
Any suggestions on what I should make sure the mechanic inspects?
hmm... well, how many miles are on the car? the timing belt should be changed at ~70,000-80,000 miles (112,600-128,700KM)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey Halifax,,,
Nice to see another Canuck in the group!!!
Given the age of the car (nearly 7 years old) I think you want to change the timing belt regardless of the mileage if it hasn't been changed already. The belts will dry out and lose their elasticity over time and its not really worth the risk. Check the water pump at the same time. Most mechanics recommend changing the water pump while you are at it. I have a great mechanic here in Montreal. I'll ask him if he can provide a referral to somebody in T.O. and get back to you if he can.
Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Halifax,

Allow me to refer you to my German Mechanic.
His name is Gerd Liepold.

He is located in Scarborough.

Bavarian Auto Services
445 Midwest Rd. Unit 37
416 285-4206

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. The car is a '98 with a 105 km. $12,900 CDN sound like a reasonable price?

I have heard something about control arms in A4s... any help?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Originally posted by hafilax@Apr 2 2005, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the input. The car is a '98 with a 105 km. $12,900 CDN sound like a reasonable price?

I have heard something about control arms in A4s... any help?
That price sounds reasonable. My understanding is that 1998 1.8T A4s are going for $10k-$13k, depending on equipment, condition (private sale, dealers will probably sell for a little more) etc,,, You'd better get a price on replacing the timing belt before you decide on a purchase price for the car. Timing belt with tensioner and water pump could run you between $1000-$1700, so take that into consideration when negotiating the price.
Finally, get it cheched over by an independent mechanic,, compression test, the works. For a fee of $150, you could end up saving yourself alot more on repairs later.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts