Audi Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i have a 98 a4 2.8l quattro and i want to get my car lowered but i don't no whether or not i have to buy struts and springs or just springs. i was told that i should buy struts because of my cars year and that they will probally be going anyways. what do u guys think i should do?
thanx

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
you should get both new stronger shocks and springs
or u can get coilovers but they cost more

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i was planning on getting new h&r sport springs for a 2in. drop, but don't no whether to get sport shocks or stock ones. do u no how much they would cost? if u have any more info please let me no!
thanx

·
Registered
3 Posts
get full set deffinatly.i just got springs and i had lots of problems.i returned them and had full set for £450.00 fitted,they were "P.I " shocks and springs

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think i'm gonna go w/ the eibach pro kit after winter, and then when i save a bit more money, i'll slap on some blistin shocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hiya, don't know if this helps but i had the same problem and after working the figures out I opted to go for an adjustable coilover setup (100 on the front and 120 on the back) - the whole kit only cost me £350 for Jamex - if you want to know where to get it from just contact me and i'll give you the details - my car is having it all fitted as we speak so i'll let you know how it feels and looks

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris555 said:
Hiya, don't know if this helps but i had the same problem and after working the figures out I opted to go for an adjustable coilover setup (100 on the front and 120 on the back) - the whole kit only cost me £350 for Jamex - if you want to know where to get it from just contact me and i'll give you the details - my car is having it all fitted as we speak so i'll let you know how it feels and looks
yea deffinetly let me no how the car is running, b/c i was looking at some koni coiloversand they are running close to 1500 new. a little steep for me, so i just wanted to get some springs,f/r sway bars,and shocks all by before summer roles around. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
No worries, I will let you know asap - below is a link to the Jamex Kit you can buy - I was a little dubious to begin with, they did take a while to arive (4weeks) as they get them from Germany, but once they arrived I must admit they are spot on and im real happy with them - and all for 350quid! Front drop is 100mm and the rear is 120mm, all adjustable (tool supplied)

eBay.co.uk: Audi A4 Coilover lowering springs ,shock kit 150111 (item 290058335918 end time 14-Dec-06 11:48:21 GMT)

Ive done a garage thing on this site today - if you look in there there is a picture of the kit - i should have a picture of the car, lowered, tomorrow all being well!!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanx for the link, i wish you the best of luck on the instal,and i appreciate your help!!! can't wait to see some pics!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, there on and it looks and more importantly handles absolutely brilliantly! Im so happy - you have to get them - the handling is awesome - I can now go into corners at virtually twice the speed and with no body roll whatsoever - and the best thing is its only been lowered 90mm - so ive still got another 30mm to play with! And yes, i have difficulty in getting over the speed humps now!!! Ive added photos to my garage for you to look at - let me know what you think

·
Registered
37 Posts
while some people are on the topic of shocks and springs, i'm looking into replacing the stock shocks and springs however i'm in an area that does get snow and i do travel to the mountains a lot for ski resorts, so i'm not as much interested in lowering the car. are there any benefits from upgrading tha would be noticible if i don't lower the car? and how about wear and tear in comparison to stock setups. thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bigger sway bars give the car a lot more stabilization,which means no body roll. it stiiffens the chasy of the car so when you take a corner harder, the car won't jerk from you.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chris555 said:
Well, there on and it looks and more importantly handles absolutely brilliantly! Im so happy - you have to get them - the handling is awesome - I can now go into corners at virtually twice the speed and with no body roll whatsoever - and the best thing is its only been lowered 90mm - so ive still got another 30mm to play with! And yes, i have difficulty in getting over the speed humps now!!! Ive added photos to my garage for you to look at - let me know what you think
wow bro, u'r car looks sweet. nice find!!!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
audichim said:
and is the only benefit of the coil over springs being able to lower the vehicle?
well the benifit of coil overs are that you can adjust your ride height. the lower the car the better grip,but better grip doesn't mean better ride comfort!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The sway bars will not just effect turn in and body roll. The rear sway bar can make all the difference in the overall turning characteristics from turn in to exiting the apex into the straitaway.
the h-sport kit has two settings for the rear. the less agressive setting will give you near nutral handling charactersics. meaning when you reach the limit of latteral traction in turning the front and rear will drift out equally. not the excessive understeer of the stock setup(front end breaking away exclusively and plowing strait into the force vector).
the more agressive setting will allow oversteer(the rear end breaking away first swinging wide). this is what you woul most likely want to autocross with. however overrsteer requires a bit of reflexive correction(countersteer) and in an awd car a power on correction in some cases. for most daily driver comfort nutral will be better. when you start to drift just lay off the gas... at least if you did not really super over speed into a turn in.

rear sway bar made the most bang for the buck for all my fwd's and my audi in tearms of overall handling.

the h-sport set is only like a $100 more then the neuspeed rear only so i highly recommend this. i have the lltek set, but if had seen the h-sport my A4 would be running that set instead.

adding the beffier front bar will as mentioned keep body roll up front to a minimum. turn in will tighten up and transitions (left to right/right to left ) will greatly improve.

coilovers will enhance things even more of course. i do not see a point in spring's/shock's unless you change the over all characteristic to massively oversteer by first getting sway bars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts