Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 1997 A4 1.8T FWD

The other day I ran over a bit of a rough patch in the road and now I'm getting a squeaky noise from the front right suspension. Overall the car handles bumps in the road like a ping pong ball, it bounces and skips all over the place, especially around the bends, at times it even feels out of control.

I would like to replace the suspension on the car and possibly the control arms for good measure. I was wonder how difficult of a job is this for a novice mechanic? And do you think it would fix my poor handling and new squeaky wheel?

Or should I just leave it to the professionals?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It sounds like your shock absorber has gone. You might find that if you push down on the front wing the car will bounce up and down a bit. When it should bounce once and stop.

Fitting should be ok for a novice mechanic if you have a service manual. I have a go at some things but i normally leave it to the pros. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Randomjim thanks for the reply.

I just got a call from my mechanic and here's the damage.
He said my two lower control arms were bad on the right side.
Also he mentioned that the "boot on the axle was torn" and that he has to get a new axle in from Audi to replace it.

Does this sound right? Overall the total cost of the repair, parts and labor is running me about $1200.00

Is this guy screwing me? He's a very reputable mechanic in town so I can't image he would.

Are Audi's really that expensive to repair?

200+ for each control arm.
400 for the axle
plus labor.

I think I got into the wrong business.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
yea a VW is almost nice as a audi......... *fart noise*

·
Registered
470 Posts
I can't imagine that you would have to change the axle. Might be worth a second opinion. Control arms i can understand but a replacement axle is rare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts