Audi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post to this forum.

I was told by a service manager at a NON-Audi dealer that all Audi have a problem with a clunking noise in the suspension system, from front upper control arms. I was told it's just noise, but there is no play in the control arms. He said you could replace the upper control arms and outer tie-rod ends, but the clunking sound would probably be back in 6 months.
He said this is a "very common problem" with ALL Audis. I am skepticle of his statements.
Can anyone tell me if this is true? Any feedback?

Thanks -pded

·
Registered
256 Posts
I also have ran across these complaints on other boards. I can only say thay my A6 4.2 with sport suspenson is very quiet. My friend in Germany has an 6A Avant TDI that is also quiet and he drives the you know what out of it. I'm no expert in these things so take this with a grain of salt.
Good luck :57:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I recently received a recall notice from Audi Canada (A4s 1996-2000) for front suspension lower control arms. It says they may have to be replaced. Call your dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. If anyone else has more to the original question, it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2002 A6 TDI. When temp below 0 celsius, there will be a sound like an old "rockingchair". Hot weather = quiet again....

The sound is located in the right susp.
The 8/3 I will have my 30.000 km maintenance, and we will see what they say..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Originally posted by pded@Feb 17 2005, 03:56 PM
Hello, first post to this forum.

I was told by a service manager at a NON-Audi dealer that all Audi have a problem with a clunking noise in the suspension system, from front upper control arms. I was told it's just noise, but there is no play in the control arms. He said you could replace the upper control arms and outer tie-rod ends, but the clunking sound would probably be back in 6 months.
He said this is a "very common problem" with ALL Audis. I am skepticle of his statements.
Can anyone tell me if this is true? Any feedback?

Thanks -pded
i have the same noise on my A6 2.8 quattro i have had new outer tie rod ends but the noise is still there .dont think it is a common problem i have been in other audis and they have not had the noise

·
Registered
186 Posts
I get a creaking noise not unlike the rocking chair description from my right front. However, whenever it rains, the noise dissappears. I tested this by spraying the whole right front end assembly on a warm dry day and took it out for a spin.... no creaking noise. Had one of the tie rod ends replaced, noise was still there. I've had the front end checked several times. There is no looseness anywhere. Now I just put up with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by Jalla@Feb 23 2005, 07:15 AM
I have the same problem with my 2002 A6 TDI. When temp below 0 celsius, there will be a sound like an old "rockingchair". Hot weather = quiet again....

The sound is located in the right susp.
The 8/3 I will have my 30.000 km maintenance, and we will see what they say..

I have a 97 A4 with 142000 km on it. The lower control arms have been replaced twice to date (at my cost) once at 96000 km and again at 108000 km and now I receive a recall notice to take my car in to check the suspension. All service has been done through my Audi dealer and I am the original owner of the vehicle. Upon inspection at the dealer, I am told that they "tightened" the control arms as there was some play. I am informed by my dealer that I don't need new lower control arms but a new wishbone suspension and this is not covered by the recall. Question: Is the wishbone suspension not just the upper and lower control arms (as a package) , and if so, should the recall not at least replace the lower control arms? Am I getting the run around?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I'm new here as well and have a similar problem. My 1997 A4 has a major groan from the left front suspension. The repair place I just visited said I need a front end rebuild. The left front is loose and the right side is showing wear. This at 124,000 miles. A friend of mine in Montana who works on Audi and BMW cars says this is typical for Audi's (he owns 3). There are 8 ball joints in the front suspension and none have zerk fittings. They wear out quickly it seems.

I am currently looking for a reasonably priced rebuild kit. So far they have been in the $600's for a complete rebuild.

Bob K

·
Registered
16 Posts
The problem is the ball joints, they are seal so your not supposed to be able to regrease them but if you poke a small hole in the boot towards the top and us a small grease gun and or heavy weight oil into the boot this should resolve the creaking noise, Im mercedes benz mechanic and they have the same probs as my audi's

·
Registered
16 Posts
As for the clunking noise I assuming its at slower speeds only, the problem is the sway bar links and bushings, each link takes about 15 min to do and bushing are about 5-10 min bushing after market are about 15.00 dalloars USD each and sway bar links are about 50.00 USD each.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem is the ball joints, they are seal so your not supposed to be able to regrease them but if you poke a small hole in the boot towards the top and us a small grease gun and or heavy weight oil into the boot this should resolve the creaking noise, Im mercedes benz mechanic and they have the same probs as my audi's
I guess this noise means that the ball joints is worn and needs to be replaced right??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts