Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that when parked the left front of the car is lower, as if that side has lowered to the factory transport setting. It levels when the car is started....but looks odd when parked..Any ideas on this as a potential service probelm coming my way?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 2001 allroad and notice the same thing. If I am parked for 24 hours it "settles" at different levels on each wheel so it looks uneven while parked. When I start it it levels out fine. My local dealership said this is fine but I suspect Audi did not design this to settle unevenly. Any one have any insight? :460:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here. The manual says that its normal for it to drop 7-8mm in 24 hours.
Mine drops if I leave it at the lowest setting, but not at all, if I leave it parked in the second or third position.. I have heard a lot of people talking about this on the allroad. Wonder if Audi will recall or help us out..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I just picked mine up after a week at the dealership. The front end finally settled and never came back. A compressor and air bladder later and it's all better. It was covered by my CPO but I know the compressor was $980 but don't know how much the bag was. I'd guess it was a $2k job.

You have a leak. Make them check it. It is not supposed to "settle" overnight. MAYBE after a long time in one place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get ready, I 've now repaced both front airbag shocks, at about 1000 each (inc labor).
remember what a fine automobile you own, and that it's not a new car. you saved a lot of depreciation buying used, and these little catch ups are what used cars are all about.
go on in to an audi service center and get it fixed. soon you'll notice variation in the ride, as it trips the sensors cause it's too low, and so on and so forth...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Likewise, I've owned my 2001 allroad for 7 months, it has 79k miles,
and just this month have dropped $1.2k for new compressor (air
suspension) and another $1k for 1 front air spring (bag) replacement,
and the vehicle now "settles unevenly".... Audi sez that the other front
air spring now "has a small leak"... i don't know whether to believe
that... but, if that's right... then others with the "uneven settling" phenom
may also have "a small leak".

I appreciate the comment as to keeping these costs in context...
as i strive to keep loving the car in the face of mighty surprising
repair costs. I've owned 30+ autos in my life... and could never
have expected to incur multi-$K costs for "suspension repairs"
on a 5-yo automobile. But, after all, this is my first Audi!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am having the same problem with my 01 allroad... the suspension is sagging in the front end, but only when driven and then parked while in the lowest setting. the dealer has been unable to recreate this, but it's happened to me several times. the airbags don't seem to be leaking...

Also, in a separate suspension issue, when i go over any repetetive jarring bumps or truck ruts, the right rear of the car will bounce off track. this can be quite unsettling at highway speed, and there are a lot of rough roads around nyc's highways. the shocks and airbags seem to be functioning properly, and i believe the shocks/struts bolt right to the frame without any bushing or bearing, so that can't be a factor... it doesn't matter which tires are on the car... even brand new ones. is there anyone else who has the same feeling with the car, or perhaps knowledge of any potential wear bushings or bearings in the suspension that may be a factor in this symptom? the dealer can't recreate the condition, and they think i'm crazy...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 03 Allroad and the suspension is harder than that of a regular A6. I test drove both back to back on the same roads and noticed this. It has a more truck-like SUV ride but rides far much better than that chassis type. I haven't had any problems with the air bags and hope that I won't. I've used the small compressor in the spare tire area to fill up a tire on a hand card and was presently surprised on how this worked. Great seats, nice to raise the chassis on gravel or dirt driveways that are long, not to mention snowstorms and drifts. Good Luck on Id'ing problem. Moheghan Lake Motors in NY - off of the Taconic has done some work on my Allroad and I've been pleased.

·
Registered
3 Posts
front air-suspension; rebuild @ 80k

My 2001 allroad needed a $3300 air-suspension rehab, at 80k miles.
Replaced both front "air-springs" @ $1K per, and replaced the air
compressor @ $1300. All genuine Audi parts/service. Now, some
3 weeks (5oo miles later)... the suspension system feels just right...
and "air leak" is seemingly zero. Not once during these weeks has
the system "lost air overnight"... never has had to pump itself back
up to setting. Expensive, yes. Great car, yes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh yeah

Bought that car in November of '05, have put about $5500 into it, and was informed today that the transmission is going...still haven't resolved the front wheel vibration (Audi says it's the tires, Discount Tire says it's Audi)...I may be finished with this fine German automobile...did the fron air shocks last week, that was a nice little $1700 job. The car ride completely different now, but there's so many parts in that suspension, it's a little crazy.

Anyone have a spare tranny sitting around ($4500)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
front left sits down

My 2001 allroad sits down only on the front left after 2-3 hours when parked. If I set it on 3rd level there are no problems, it just stays on 3rd level even 1-2 days.
What do I have to do to solve my problem? Is it an air leak? Or an electronic sensor problem?
heeeeelp!!!!:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2001 is settling on about every one out of ten shutdowns. If I am dilligent, I can hear air escaping in the front of the car which makes me wonder about the check valves.

I have only had this car for a short time, but wonder how it will behave through a cold winter as gases will contract when cooled. Farmer's Almanac reads like it (this Notheast Winter) will be like no other. Should I be looking for another compressor for this funky suspension? Can this suspension simply be retrofitted with conventional shocks/struts? I do not really need the 4 different levels of height to amaze my date....

·
Registered
3 Posts
What happens if I don't fix the leak?

I have exactly the same problem that people are talking about here. The front left of the car drops almost to the ground when parked. Not every time, but most of the time. Pops right up as soon as I start it, but I think I hear the compressor running non-stop. What happens if I don't fix the air leak?

·
Registered
79 Posts
my3webers said:
What happens if I don't fix the air leak?
Same thing is happening to me too...
What will happen is leak will get worse and worse, till compressor won't be able to keep up and shutdown or burn out.
Then if you keep driving with 1 side completelly down it will probably damage other side also and you will have to change both bags eventually and compressor as allroadJohn did - $3300 or so...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Take it from someone who has been there...

Save yourself $1k by replacing the front airshocks as soon as they show any signs of leaking so you don't burn out the compressor too. The good news is, that it is highly unlikely that it will happen twice since apparently the new airbags are much better than the originals if you keep the car that long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
tpinco said:
Bought that car in November of '05, have put about $5500 into it, and was informed today that the transmission is going...still haven't resolved the front wheel vibration (Audi says it's the tires, Discount Tire says it's Audi)...I may be finished with this fine German automobile...did the fron air shocks last week, that was a nice little $1700 job. The car ride completely different now, but there's so many parts in that suspension, it's a little crazy.

Anyone have a spare tranny sitting around ($4500)?
I also had the problem with the tranny. Apparantly they all go in reverse gear. In NZ thats a $7k problem to fix if you go direct to the transmission guys. Whay more if you go to an Audi dealership. They say (the transmission guys) that the ZF gearbox that is used in all euro cars except the Merc has a dud reverse gear. Mine would not reverse unless it was dead flat. It was covered under warranty 2002 2.7t allroad and it goes great now. Minor airleak in the front to fix now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Fixed problem: I changed the front left air spring. It was little damaged. Ghost price :(

Change the air spring? bad idea. Better is change car for example A6 2.7 or 4.2. There is no rason to buy an allroad and need a better handling, you will never have the same of a normal 2.7: the allroad front and rear subframe are some inc higher, to have more ground clearance

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got and '01 with 80K miles. So far I've replaced one airbag and one ride-level sensor. It's in the shop again this week getting the compressor replaced. Aaaargh...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts