Audi Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having some serious problems lately with my 07 Audi Q7 3.6L and I have no idea what's going on now. I bought this car from a private owner about 3 months ago with the understanding nothing was wong, but that is far from the truth. My most recent obstacle is that the sunroof has been leaking, mainly in the front but it doesn't get super wet by the curtain air bags. Well I had decided to put some tape over the sunroof seals until I could A- Figure out if it's the outer seal or the seal around the window pieces and B-i can actually afford it. Anyways, this last Sunday apparently the tape job didn't hold (about a month later) and it had leaked a little while I was in work. Car started up and drove just fine. Once I got home I started re doing the tape job and it started dumping rain before I could get it fully finished. Went out to finish and the inside was dry, but when I went to start my car about 2 hours later it wouldn't start. It didn't even try. No click. No sounds. Nothing! The dash popped up with the message "ESP Fault See owners manual" and "Headlight Range Control Defective". Jump started the car and it worked but then powered off after idling for about 2 minutes with the jumper cables still on. Jumped it again and had my foot on the gas so it was idling a little higher and it still died. I checked all the fuses and nothing is blown, I put a trickle charger on it for a few hours and it still wouldn't work. I did get a new message saying my car wasn't in park and my car wouldn't lock until it was in park and when I took the manual key out of the ignition it seemed like it was almost welded in it. I had to pull and wiggle pretty good to get it out tho. Took my battery into auto zone to see if they could test it, put it on the load charger thing and it came back saying it was fully charged and it was good. I have been told to replace the alternator, the starter and even the computer system. I don't even know where to start! I'm hoping someone else has had a similar issue that can point me in a direction. Please, I need help. I'm a single mom working full time and I can afford to take it into the dealership to get it fixed. I have been learning by videos on how to do everything so far on my own.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately it is probably drain hoses are plugged which is the best case scenario. Worst case the prior owner over blown the hoses and with the age they are brittle and have broken.

Start with the best case, remove the a pillar covers (SRS Cover, remove screw, pull out), there are videos that details the process. Use compress air and clear the front hoses, now the second part is the rear hoses, please validate that they are clear or you will still get water in the cabin.

Your battery was probably impacted by the water in the driver’s footwell, once it is fully charged by the alternator the ESP and other lights should go away. Battery under drivers seat next to location for drain hose wasn’t the best design. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it is probably drain hoses are plugged which is the best case scenario. Worst case the prior owner over blown the hoses and with the age they are brittle and have broken.

Start with the best case, remove the a pillar covers (SRS Cover, remove screw, pull out), there are videos that details the process. Use compress air and clear the front hoses, now the second part is the rear hoses, please validate that they are clear or you will still get water in the cabin.

Your battery was probably impacted by the water in the driver’s footwell, once it is fully charged by the alternator the ESP and other lights should go away. Battery under drivers seat next to location for drain hose wasn’t the best design. Good Luck!
I have done all of that and they were free and clear, even checked them by pouring water in them and it didn't leak at all. What I need to do is figure out the part number for the seals on the sunroof or if there is some other kid of seal I can use that won't cost an arm and a leg to do that will still work.
The electrical problem is from either the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch. I feel like it is the ignition switch because the key would get stuck every time I put it in, the glass cover on my fuel gage has a rainbow color at the bottom and is warped like it has gotten too hot in the past. But it may possibly be just the neutral safety switch due to it finally starting many days later only by putting it in neutral then sliding it into park. I just need to test it in all gears with the multimeter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts