Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my new A4, but having been a driving enthusiast (yet technical moron) I have always been intrigued by the S4.
However, seeing the problem years of the A4 go by (I have an 06 and it seems to be the best rated in a while) I'm a little concerned that the S4 has the same history.
Can anyone suggest a particular year for an S4 or am I just being overly concerned?
I'm looking to make it my next step, but need some of your advice.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
were these a4 problems engine or body
casue the S4 V8 is a more reliable engine becasue its not turboed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was considering the V6 S4 because of the twin turbo. And the issues I saw about the previous A4 Quattro 1.8Ts and earlier varied from poor reliability, turbo issues, electrical problems and sluggish performance. However, I can't verify any of these having only driven an '87 Audi Quattro 4000, a '94 Quattro and now the '06. From what I've read, it was the 2000-05 series of A4's and 6's that had some problems.
To clarify, I'm just wondering what would be the best year/model of the S4 series to consider.
Thanks AWG

·
Registered
31 Posts
im not positive on which year is best for the s4 v6 however i would be willing to bet that the newer b6's are more reliable than the older b6's for the reason that the design has been worked a bit. In the case of the b7 im sure reliability issues will come with time. Its true with every car. A major change comes about and minor details are overlooked. The problems are often sought out by customers and fixed in future b7's. In my mind its always good to purchase a vehicle that has been around and corrected over years. So in my opinion you probably want to go with a 2004 or 2005 s4 for they have been worked. In 2005.5 the change occurs which problems are bound to crop up. Matter of opinion however

1 - 5 of 5 Posts