Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My query is simple. What are the necessary steps to be taken when storing in an unheated garage? So far I've been told to start it once a week and thats about it.
Indigo

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am also looking for a reply to your question. My TT 250hp Roadster will be laid up in a unheated garage all winter. But, since there has been no replies, I guess no one stores their cars????????

Cruz

·
Registered
5 Posts
You should add fuel stabilyzer to the gas tank, the tank should be full,this will help keep out condensation. Aslo disconect the battery. If you change the oil before you store the car, you will remove most of the contamanants in the cranckcase.
you could fog the motor, that is usually for storage longer then 6 months. Hope this helps.

I have stored cars and boats for over 20 years.
Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Greg,
I have found some other information about storage as well.
Over-inflating the tires to 45psi was suggested as well as parking it on top of hard foam sheets to get it off the cement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Indigo and Greg,
I have been asking all my friends who store a car about winter storage. Seems that the over-inflating of tires is controversial. It supposedly decreases the surface area of contact but most seem to think it is unnecessary and useless. Storing on a plywood sheet or insulating foam to keep tires off the cold surface (if unheated storage) seems most logical.
I am wondering about disconnecting the battery. Again, folks differ in their opinions. Last year I didn't disconnect, and the battery was low enough to prevent starting car in spring. However, jumped without any problem and battery was fine for last 8 months.
Does anyone have strong feelings about disconnecting the battery?

Thanks for the help,

LiebTT

·
Registered
5 Posts
LiebTT

I disconnect the battery just in case something draws it down.
On the tires, you could go as far as putting the car on jack stands, this might help prevent flat spots in the tires, it also releaves the suspension, but this would really be for long term storage over a year.
I prefer to leave the car on the ground, I am sure that the couple nice days that we get in the Winter will promt my wife to get the car out.
Hope this helps
Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts