Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am having some problems starting my 1997 1.9td A4. Sometimes (but not always) when i turn the key the engine turns over and starts, but then cuts out immediately. It takes quite a few attempts to get the car started if this happens. However at other times the car will start straight away.

Once started it runs very smoothly, but it is quite an embarrassment when it wont start. Anyone else have this problem, or know what it could be?

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, it does seem to be the key.

How does it work though, as my spare key is different to my main one, and has no battery etc.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The transponder in the key does not need a battery to function. It works only on radio waves. The immobiliser unit send some radio waves which are caught by the transponder, modified, and sent back to the immobiliser. This is the principle. It's the same as in RFID access cards - you have a card that has no battery and nothing magnetic in it, you move it close to a RFID reader which recognises it and (hopefully, if you have the right card) it opens the door for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Why do people respond to issues, which they have not experienced themselves.

Reader Coil needs replacing - do it and thank me later. If I'm correct, the car idles for about 2 seconds and cuts out - :clap:

cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1997 A4 with the same problem. Now I dont start the car unless the yellow light ont he dash has stopped flashing (it's something to do with the reader coil not recognising the key).

My local audi dealer has quoted £260- £280 to replace the reader coil.

A guy came to me in a carpark once and told me that if you lock the car at the boot then this resets the immobiliser - i always now lock the boot and it doesn't happen so often.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts