Audi Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having a problem on my audi coupe 16v 1994 the brakes seem a little spongy can't find any leaks and not loosing any fluid from the reservoir.
theres also a red warning light on the dash that comes on when the pedal is pushed to far down under heavy braking or under sudden braking what does this signal as not been able to find a manual for it yet. :unsure:

·
Registered
74 Posts
if the lamp comes on whilst driving- the fluid in the reservoir is too low

if there is also an increase in pedal travel one of the two hydraulic brake circuits may have failed --- get the system checked out ASAP

does the warning lamp flash for thirty seconds after switching ignition on?? if it doesnt then you have a problem

thats basically what the manual says

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the lamp flashes only when the pedal is pushed suddenly and then goes out the reservoir is full to the mark. when the pedal is pressed their is a click like a micro switch from some where under the pedal and then the lamp comes on.
i think it must be the master cylinder as it feels very spongy as if the fluid has pushed past the seals and is just using the relief spring.
any one know where i can get one asap tried ecp and gsf and niether one got one. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've been told its the bomb (brake accumulator) gone ordered one from all audi and tried it but its no different all audi says the one they sent might not have been tested .
has anyone had dealings with them before? sound like a nice bunch of people so they will hopefully sort it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got another brake accumulator (bomb) from the guys at all audi this ones marginally better but still does'nt pass the pump test with the engine off.
have tested the hydraulic pump and this checks out ok delivers about 350ml per min.
have just tried draining the whole system of fluid and putting new in as the old fluid was very discoloured but this still makes no difference.
any one got any more ideas ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
stupid questions i expect - are you using DOT 4 brake fluid?-- im not sure if it would make a lot difference tho

what is the symbol of the flashing red warning light- i take it is the brake system warning light?

the central hydraulic system isnt low on oil?
the dual hydraulic pump has been tested?

discs and pads arent badly worn?giving excessive travel?

just thought of this-----

check rubber brake lines for wear, corrosion or "ballooning"--- ive replaced mine threetimes in six years -- am planning to go braided steel next time it occurs!

some of these you probably checked already

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
have bled the whole system with new fluid brake and hydraulics
the warning light is the (!) red one
levels are all ok but not checked the pads yet, the brake lines at the wheels felt ok under pressure the other day, is the any more rubber lines i can check. :unsure:

·
Registered
74 Posts
the rear brakes have rubber hoses as well

the(!) warning light is also connected to the central hydraulic system

have you got pad sensor warning system? i havent on mine

i have just been out and tried pushing the brake pedal down to see if the light flashes - it doesnt!

becoming a bit of a mystery isnt it!

just to note tho
my brakes do have a bit of travel and have a very soft progressive positive feel--
the girlifriends two year old golf which is a very similar engine but the brakes are very positive and hardly any travel( i would say they are "fierce")

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey pal1--- just been messin with my brakes :460:

right then, when i switch engine on, the brake continues to flash for 30 seconds

when engine is ticking over and all lights extinguished if i stab at the brake pedal very hard the brake light WILL flash twice

when the car is moving and i stab at the brakes or brake hard the warning light WILL NOT flash!!

when stationary and i raise the revs and stab hard at the brakes the warning light WILLflash twice

i have owned the car for 6years and never known this!!!!!!!!!

when i tried them earlier i obviously was not stabbing the pedal hard enough!!!!!!!!!

so mate either we got the same problem or everything is quite normal-- i would say that my brakes although they feel softer than the girlfriends golf they are more than adequate at stopping very quickly

dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for that that exactly what mine does :)
if your driving and the revs are up its ok but when idling the light flashes.
try pumping the pedal quickly whilst driving does the light flash then?
its as if the brake accumulator can't keep up with the rest of the system?
have you tried the accumulator test? turn the engine of after driving and you should be able to pump the pedal about 30 times before it goes hard and if not its supposed to be knackered (i can only get 3 pumps out of mine) have tried another two second hand accumulators and still the same but don't want to try new one until i'm 100% sure thats it as their about £300.
i just sold my golf gti to buy this coupe so maybe i'm just used to stopping quickly with a hard pedal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the light does'nt flash whilst driving at all
it does go hard after a few pumps when tsationary without the engine running yes
i think that it may be a case of getting use to the "spongy" feel of the brakes!

i improved my brakes by using EBC pads and some drilled discs from german and french- but i dont think that G+F do the discs any more-- the brakes still have a soft feel but have more bite - if you know what i mean
dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sounds like we've both got the same problem (if it is a problem).
i can live with the brakes as the are but i'm affraid the mot man won't be as understanding. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would the brake booster be the cause of this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
do you guys across the pond call the accumalater the brake booster-the accumalator is the hydraulic brake assist unit on the coupe powered by the central hydraulic system- as opposed to the vacuum assisted units fitted to other models otherwise called a "servo" unit

does this make sense?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts