Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02' A4 (B6) (bone stock)

Very sluggish, can't get out of it's own way until 3500-4000 rpm. Boost is absent until the higher rpm's are reached.
I can hear a rattling sound in the turbo at idle it seems to go away when rpm's go up.
Took it to repair shop, they said turbo is bad, needs to be replaced. I started an online search/diagnosis of my own and think they may be wrong.

Here's what I think it could be:
1. boost leak - a leaking hose somewhere (tennis ball test?)
2. a bad wastegate actuator - I think this can be replaced, don't know where to buy.
3. a bad DV - how to check?
4. a bad N75 - how to check?

I'm trying to avoid buying a new turbo as money is tight right now, any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, they just told me the turbo was shot. I'm having a hard time believing them because the turbo does kick on at higher rpm's. I asked them today about the DV and the wastegate actuator, they said it was OK.
At this point I'm thinking I should get the car back, pull the turbo and check it out myself.

The Air Control Sensor is missing. Could that be causing my probs?

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
thats a possibility, check ur hoses and make sure its getting the proper air it needs, a kink in the hose could cause this too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
have you had your cat checked?
If this is blocked and detached from its housing, you get power loss , hissing and a rattling noise.

fish

·
Registered
34 Posts
o my god , i have the same problem. My mechanic said it could just be from the car sitting for a few months. I have the same exact problem. Anyone know what I could do?
I am desperate for help cause i just ordered a borla exhaust and evoms Diverter valvle. So hopefully if i put a new DV in it fixes =)

any1 else have any other suggestions or help please respond :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys ,
The simplest check with the exhast cold is to tap the catalytic converter with your hand and if it rattles,,, theres your problem!
If not look elsewhere. IMHO turbos don,t rattle when they expire. It is usually quite dramatic!

Fisheggs

·
Registered
1 Posts
It might be the wastegate actuator. Mine lost all kinds of power - couldnt get rpms over 3000 before it would just die out. Took it to the shop and they first said the turbo was bad but after a close look it was the wastegate which is about 1000 dollars less. My audi has 145,000 miles on it. Does anyone know how long that turbo will last because I dont want to replace that.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Is the car smoking at all? Usually the car will burn a lot of oil when the turbo goes.

Have you checked for shaft play?

Pull the turbo intake pipe and see if there is any "in out" or "side to side" play with the turbine wheel.

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts