Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a magnetic ski rack for a trip this weekend.

See FAPA WEBPAGE

It attaches/detaches in 20sec. Not including cleaning the roof and the carriers (recommended). The price was less than 1/2 of what the bars for Audi roof rails cost.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
20 bucks says he makes it there without ski's :bwekk:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i would be scared cause the magnets can still slip and scratch ur paint

·
Registered
186 Posts
That's pretty cool. It must be some serious magnets! Does it have to have a saftey tether of any kind (you know, just in case)?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by kazyee@Mar 16 2006, 04:49 PM
20 bucks says he makes it there without ski's :bwekk:
Cool, those 20$ will cover the cost of the ski rack, thanks. You want to transfer those by paypal? :grin:

I didn't get pics. Maybe next time i use it.

The magnet is sorta like the magnet stickers, soft, so it'll follow the contour of the roof, but the roof can't be too curved. It comes off easy by lifting one corner. But the magnet is 8" x 8" so it'll hold even at high speeds (I tested up to 140 km/h). The car got VERY dirty, and there was no sign whatsoever of the magnets moving.

There is a strap of 'safety belt' type with a plastick block on the end, and you just let this hang inside one of the door openings. You'll notice immediately if there is any problems.

If you need to transport lots of skis, there is room for 3 sets of these on the roof of the A4 B6. Being of the magnet type it can't be used on the TT and the latest A8's (alu. roof).

It has been approved by TüF, so I doub't it will scratch the paint, or create any hazardous situations, as long as it's used according to the specifications.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
hehe nice glade it worked out for u

1 - 9 of 9 Posts