Audi Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be my first Audi. I would really love to get a 2000-2001 audi a4 manual V6. But I keep hearing that the parts are extremely expensive and they have tons of problems. So i figured why not ask the audi owners. Please give me some insight of what I am getting myself into. I really love the cars, but I don't want it in the shop more than on the road. Anyone who knows about these cars, Can you please offer some insight. I would greatly Appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
have you thought about the 1.8T??

where you from?? (as car prices depend on where you are!)

RickT

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drive an 2001 2.8L and I love it. Yes, Parts will always be a little more costly for these cars but if you know where to look you can find better deals. DON’T BUY PARTS FROM DEALERS unless its absolutely necessary. For Example, I just paid $850 for an upgraded stage one clutch with installation. Its normally a $1200 repair for OEM parts and labor. It is possible to get good deals… Look on Ebay, Craigslist, these forums ETC... My car cost me $10,000 in May of this year I bought it from a little old lady she practically never drove it only had 30,000 miles on it, and I put close to $4000 in upgrades. It was all totally worth it. If you treat these cars right they will run for quite sometime.

As far as 1.8T’s go it will not save much on gas with that turbo plus you get the lag witch can really become irritating does get you in off the line a bit faster but that about it. With the right upgrades, you will get more power and better MPG anyway. I would stick to a 2.8 it’s a solid car but also be prepared to dump some money on a Cold Air Intake, Chip, And Exhaust. Also, keep in mind these cars only take Premium gas…

Best of luck & let us know what you decide…

·
Registered
6 Posts
B5RyGuy said:
As far as 1.8T’s go it will not save much on gas with that turbo plus you get the lag witch can really become irritating does get you in off the line a bit faster but that about it. With the right upgrades, you will get more power and better MPG anyway. I would stick to a 2.8 it’s a solid car but also be prepared to dump some money on a Cold Air Intake, Chip, And Exhaust. Also, keep in mind these cars only take Premium gas…

Best of luck & let us know what you decide…
Negative... The 1.8T gets much better gas mileage than the 2.8/2.7T. It also has much more potential and aftermarket than the 2.8, and weigh less.

If you're looking for a smooth ride and don't care about gas mileage or performance, the 2.8 will bring just that. If you want performance potential, better gas mileage, and ease of finding aftermarket performance parts, go with the 1.8T. It's a proven engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Absolutely they have more aftermarket parts for a 1.8t, and I even considered buying one. I borrowed one from my dealer for 3 days in fact, and I didn’t see much improvement I didn’t see it being a dramatic difference in MPG so I went with the 2.8L.

They are all proven engines btw and with the mods that are available for a 2.8L you can retain the same if not better MPG as a 1.8t. You just have to be willing to spend the money. I am getting great gas mileage on mine; what R U getting on yours Eddie?… One thing is for sure though If your going to Complain about dollars and cents don’t even bother owing one these cars they like to be spoiled.

The other reason I didn’t buy the 1.8 was the fact the stock turbos are small and have some issues; as you will find on this forum, and I just plain old don’t like that dragging feeling that they supply.

It’s all a matter of personal taste. Go with what u like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
B5RyGuy said:
It’s all a matter of personal taste. Go with what u like.
That statement sums it all up... ;)

The 2.7T has decent gas mileage on the freeway, but not so good in city driving. Combined, doing more freeway than city, I get somewhere around 21 ~ 23, but if I drive it in city often it drops below 20 (usually around 18).

ALL freeway (long trips), it can get above 26 ~ 28, which isn't bad for a V6.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, Im getting about 30-32 on the hwy if the on board is right...

City kills me though im getting around 20 as well.

Cheers:)

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
wat b5ryguy said before!!!!! lol, i own a 2.8L w/ exhaust,chip,and intake and not only has my gas millege increased but u can deff. feel a diff. in power. yea its a little extra in maintnence but i feel like its worth it driving my car. u have no lagg,just instant power all the way through. and if u have enough money for the p.e.s supercharger,u wont complain. the 1.8T's do have alot more parts out for them, but i dont see it doing anything for me,b/c wats out for the 2.8L is enough to get u going.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I dont think supercharging a motor with 60,000 plus miles is a great idea. Mandoh im with u the chip intake and exhaust is definitely enough.

Mandoh: I did the pulleys to, Did you get the links i sent you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
B5RyGuy said:
I dont think supercharging a motor with 60,000 plus miles is a great idea.
Why not? do you think engines are bad after 60K on them :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
yea b5ryguy,i got those sweet links that u gave me but i'm in a lot of financial probs. rite now. how r those pulleys' working for u? b/c i just spent 600 for skool books,and im about to buy a 1700 laptop so i can purchase vag-com. but they're deff. on my list. i'm also waiting till winter is over so i can get my springs and sway bars. and buy the summer i'll have my rims!!!

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
i dont think its a bad idea at all to supercharge a motor at 60k+ b/c if the motor is still running strong and u keep it's maintnence going on schedule, u shouldn't have a prob.plus w/ the injectors and all the new fuel lines running through it might be even better for the car. my car just hit 100k and when i went to waterfest, there were 2 other 2.8's there getting chipped like me,and they both had like 50k on it.well they both kept stalling out b/c they havn't replaced their water pump,and they just ran like crap. they put the chip in my car,and my car started right up w/ out any probs. the technician told me i had 1 of the cleanest 2.8's he's ever worked on and that he was shocked on how well it ran w/ those kinds of miles on it!!! so i was the only 1 who got chipped that day,the others went home empty handed unfortunatly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No The cars a Fine with 60 plus. In fact they run well into the 200's if you treat them right.

What I was saying was you dont want to run a supercharger on any motor with that kind of milege b/c u risk cracking the block if you dont know what your doing... Its a great add-on but not worth it for these cars just my thought is all. If you needed that kind of power from and Audi you should just buy an S4.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
haha, i no i'm gonna sound like a smart ass and i apologize but if u can find an S4 for 6grand, let me no!!!! S4's in my opinion cost a lot of money and are expensive as f*** when it comes to maintnence. thats 1 reason y i've held off on buying one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well you woulnt find one for 6g's anytime soon I have found some nice ones for around 12,000. I think its a great car but if i was going to invest in a S4 I would not buy one used. If your gonna do it may as well do it right dont ya think... Keep saving your lunch money... LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
Mandoh, have you got a turbo in your 2.8? If not, what difference has the chip made? I've been told its a waste of time chipping a stock 2.8. Please tell me they wrong.

·
Registered
31 Posts
robj said:
I've been told its a waste of time chipping a stock 2.8. Please tell me they wrong.

They Wrong... It makes a very noticeable improvement.

Chip, Intake, & Exaust is all you need to make it go...

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
robj said:
Mandoh, have you got a turbo in your 2.8? If not, what difference has the chip made? I've been told its a waste of time chipping a stock 2.8. Please tell me they wrong.
no i don't have a turbo in my 2.8l b/c it would be a pain in the ass to install one, but i do have an intake,chip and exhaust.i had put in the intake and chip alone, and it improved performance a great amount when installed. u'r rev limiter is moved up to around 7200 rpms,ur throttle responce increases a very good amount,and u'r top end is amazing w/ the giac chip. it feels as like the car is nervous in a good way,wanting to react to everything. the exhaust also makes a little bit of an improvement. i love how my car is rite now w/ these modifications.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey, I drive a 2.8L with 70,000miles on it. there arent many problems till now, i only changed my timing belt at 65,000miles. The dealers dont sell B5 body kits anymore, but u can go check out aftermarket, like LLTEK website, they have plenty of parts for all years' audi, and they are not really expensive. Good luck :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts