Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local Audi dealer has ordered a new TMC enabled Navigation Plus DVD (UK edition) for me and although the new DVD is covered by warranty they want to charge me £90 + VAT to install it.

I assume that the new DVD requires some sort of software/firmware upgrade and this is what they are charging for. Can anyone tell me what is involved in this upgrade and is it possible to do myself?

I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would have thought that the DVD itself has the software upgrade on it.
My 2006 A6 (DVD Nav) is with Audi for some warranty work at the moment, and I asked them when I dropped it off if they could check for any updates, and install if they were available, so I'll let you know after I have colected the car (today).
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
567 Posts
No, if you install the 2006 disk (AF), it will upgrade the nav system, but your TMC will still not work. Various firmware upgrades are required to the cars systems to get full functionality. When my A8 got done, the bluetooth phone started working properly as they updated that at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upgrade failed

The attempted upgrade by my Audi dealer failed. The dealer tried to upgrade the software then informed me that no upgrade is available for the 'old shape' A6 (2005).

I find this hard to believe. Does anyone know different?

·
Registered
567 Posts
dkm said:
The attempted upgrade by my Audi dealer failed. The dealer tried to upgrade the software then informed me that no upgrade is available for the 'old shape' A6 (2005).

I find this hard to believe. Does anyone know different?
Your dealer is right, no TMC upgrade available for old shape 2005 car, I think we misunderstood, your car is RNS-E, not MMI. MMI has TMC available.

You can get later DVD's for your car, upto 2006, and the fabled TMC RNS-E DVD may be available by January, but dealers will be charging £100 for the upgrade which will just be a new DVD, no other update of the car is required.

·
Registered
17 Posts
TMC update

Chelmsford Audi quoted me £100 + VAT to upgrade my 2005/6 to TMC. There is no labour costs, just the discounted price of a new DVD. DVD usually retails at nearly £400.00.

I will wait for the 2007 DVD to come out then get the update.:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I followed this up with Audi Customer Services who responded as follows:

Hi David,
Thanks for the info below, I will now answer your initial questions as follows.
  1. Whether an upgrade to enable TMC is available for my car.
The answer is yes.

2. If it is available how can I get it installed?

It will be available in January 2007 and we have yet to decide to either send the disc to your local centre or direct to you at home.

3. If it is not currently available, when will it be available?
4. I have been informed by my Audi dealer that the upgrade (when available) will be covered by warranty apart from labour. Please would you confirm that this is the case?

When A6 & A8 customers were offered TMC upgrade they were asked to pay £100.0 and I expect that the same amount will be requested from customers like yourself.

Regards
Tom Peterkin
Customer Services Operations Mgr.
We'll see what happens in January.:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
dkm said:
I followed this up with Audi Customer Services who responded as follows:

We'll see what happens in January.:cool:
Thats all very interesting because I got the following email the other day from the very same person when I emailed him regarding TMC upgrades...

Hi Simon,
We expect to receive the TMC DVD's in early January 2007.
We will be contacting all customers with RNS-E sat.nav. nearer this date to inform them of the process required to obtain this DVD.
We have decided to offer this upgrade FOC.

Regards
Tom Peterkin
Customer Services Operations Mgr.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts