Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,i think i've seen a thread for this but cant seem to find it. i have a 98 a4 w/ the concert bose system and i unhooked my battery and my radio is now in safe mode.i tried pressing rds&fm2 at the same time and i put in the code that i have found in my trunk twice but now im locked out. so what should i do now? i can really use any help you give me. i don't no whether or not the code is right and i dont want to pay $140 to a dealer to give me the code.
thanx
mandoh

·
Registered
163 Posts
http://www.audi-forums.com/b5-forum/41872-stereo-safe-mode.html

Code should be free from the dealer, just have to prove ownership. If you have the radio tools and the "code card" for the radio, pull the radio out and verify that the serial numbers match, if not the radio was changed at one time.

Also look on ebay, sometimes there are sellers that provide the code for you for a few bucks...

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where do you find the code card,and what kind of tools would i need to pull the radio? i called this one dealer and they wanted $140,another wanted 60. so i guess ill keep trying till one won't charge me.lol but your help is greatly appreciated!!! thanx

·
Registered
163 Posts
The radio tools can be found on ebay for under $10. Or most car stereo shops should have them, just ask them to use them quick to pull your radio out.

The Code Card was usually attached inside the manual for the radio, it could be torn out, looks like a paper credit card. The code card will have the radios serial number on it, as well as the code for the radio, the serial number on the card and radio need to match.

I would guess that the dealers were charging so much because they have to pull the radio, which is time in the shop... depending on what their labor rate is and how long they figure to do it, thats were the charge comes from.

You say you found a code in your trunk?

And if the radio is locked out, you'll need to disconnect it from power, probably overnight... which also requires removal of the radio.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
well all i did was i kept the radio on for about an hour and i wasn't locked out any more,it resets itself after being on for 1hr w/ the key out of the ignition. but i did notice when i was scrambling through the service records i found a concert tag in the manual w/ what it looked like to be a serial number. so all i need now is someone that works at a dealer to help me out and go into the dealer comp. and pull out the code. if someone works at audi or knows someone that works at a dealer it would be greatly appreciated if you can take a couple mins. of your time and help me out!!! its driving me nuts not being able to use my radio,lol

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no all the tag has ot it are 3 letters and then like 6-8numbers thats why i assumed it could be the serial number of the radio,im not home right now to look at it but maybe it could be the last 4numbers,worth a try i guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hi ,as jared said the code must be free ,i am sure of that ,i did not understand how do they ask for many for this ,then go to the service and say controll the batttery ,than they must put the code ,if not sent an e-mail to the audi ( in germany ) and say they ask for many for the radio code. I am sure audi will help you.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i've called about 11dealers and only one of the dealers, the guy tried helping me out. but he said for security issues he couldn't give me the code so i have to go down and prove the car is mine. he said that they have to match the serial number in my manual to whats on the back of my radio. so he's charging me $55 to pull out the radio and giving me the code.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts