Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 02 S6, have had it for just over two years. While it's a great car performance and utility are tops in class. I'm wondering what options might be available to enhance it's performance. I've always had completely stock vehicles and depend on professional mechanics to maintain my vehicles. Does anybody have suggestions.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Originally posted by rockwoodfarm@Oct 23 2004, 04:45 AM
I've got a 02 S6, have had it for just over two years. While it's a great car performance and utility are tops in class. I'm wondering what options might be available to enhance it's performance. I've always had completely stock vehicles and depend on professional mechanics to maintain my vehicles. Does anybody have suggestions.
chip it .. that'll give you 30+/- hp for around $200. you could also look into exaust. technicly you could turbo it, not sure if anyone makes a bolt on for the 4.2 tho

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by rockwoodfarm@Oct 23 2004, 03:45 AM
I just bought the same vehicle. I love the car and I am looking into performance
upgrades. The car handles great but sometimes when the road has bumps or
ups and downs it feels like the tires losse grip for an instant and you need to
correct. Have you ever felt this?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You’re probably feeling the stiffer suspension of the S6 - nothing to worry about. the stiffer your suspension, the less travel you have, making bumps "launch" the car more than usual. The S6's suspension is quite a bit stiffer than the regular A6 suspension. i wouldn’t worry... I suppose if you didn’t like the stiffness you could change the springs out with some from an A6 avant 4.2 but... i don’t know why you would :huh:

as far as performance mods - read the first post in this thread... APR makes great chips, i'm not quite sure if they make on for the S6. MTM also makes an awesome chip.. and I know they have one for your application. Whats good about a chip in a non-turbo car is the dealer will usually not void the warranty because the engine isnt under that much added stress. Look for about 15-20hp out of a good chip.

The shift points on the S6 are pretty bad – you have two options to correct this. You can modify the computer system to support higher shift points, as well as make the steering wheel buttons work all the time (even in normal drive). This is called a VAG-COM 00032 modification.

You can also look into a tiptronic chip, which will raise the shift points and give you a bit faster shifts. You may want to note that this WILL void your transmission warranty.

The manifold is about the best out there and doesn’t really need to be changed unless you’re really looking to fly. If you’re going thru all the trouble of changing the manifold, you might as well throw a turbo or two into the mix as well.

Somewhere in all that mess, you should throw a K&N filter in and sway bars… Wheels/Tires should be changed at some point, and a break kit should be added with all this extra h/p.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by ron@Nov 9 2004, 02:20 PM
I just bought the same vehicle. I love the car and I am looking into performance
upgrades. The car handles great but sometimes when the road has bumps or
ups and downs it feels like the tires losse grip for an instant and you need to
correct. Have you ever felt this?
Thanks for the input. No, I would not want a softer suspension I just find
it a little scary when the car has a mind of it's own after a dip or bump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have installed the Joe Hoppen Motorsports MTM aftermarket exhaust system. Added 20 horsepower, clean bolt on installation, NO WELDING and a perfect fit to the 2002 S6 avant.
Enjoy the ride.....
Dr. Vert

·
Registered
3 Posts
DID IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE THAT YOU COULD FEEL, I LIVE IN ASPEN 8233 FT. SAME CAR. ILTEK MAKES AND EXHAUST FOR $1100 THAT SEEMS TO HAVE SAME SPECKS AS MTM. ANY REASON YOU PICKED MTM. THANKS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts