Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to find some information on a mis-fire problem I'm having on my recently purchased 2004 S4 with the V8. The car has only 13,000 miles on it, but this problem has gotten very bad all of a sudden. You can feel it misfire driving but it doesn't always throw a light. I barely made it home this weekend from SC to OH. Sometimes the light blinks and if I kept going it would go off right away but other times it would stay lit. I would pull over once lit and clear the codes. And it would sometimes be fine for awhile and others come right back till I repeated this step. Previous owners records show he had complained of this at around 12k @ dealer but dealer reported no problems (when I first got it, it was much more spuratic now I can't hardly drive it. Codes are always : 16689 P0305 Cyl 5 misfire, 16684 P0300 Radom misfire and 16589 P0205 Cyl 5 injector circut N83 Open. Prior to my trip I had the plug and coil pack for # 5 replaced and the injector from 5 switched to 6, but the codes stayed the same (still alawys 5)? Was there ever a know problem that could cause this? Any help would be appreciated as I love this car, but am very frustated at the moment and local dealer does not have a very good rep. Would you know anyone near Dayton OH that is very good ( a long shot, but thought I would ask)? Idle is always smooth at start up so far. I read about a bad Ignition Control Module on a 4cyl causing similar problems (always just one cyl) , does the s4 have one of these as well? If so were would it be located? Thanks in advance for any help.
-Mark

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I was trying to find some information on a mis-fire problem I'm having on my recently purchased 2004 S4 with the V8. The car has only 13,000 miles on it, but this problem has gotten very bad all of a sudden. You can feel it misfire driving but it doesn't always throw a light. I barely made it home this weekend from SC to OH. Sometimes the light blinks and if I kept going it would go off right away but other times it would stay lit. I would pull over once lit and clear the codes. And it would sometimes be fine for awhile and others come right back till I repeated this step. Previous owners records show he had complained of this at around 12k @ dealer but dealer reported no problems (when I first got it, it was much more spuratic now I can't hardly drive it. Codes are always : 16689 P0305 Cyl 5 misfire, 16684 P0300 Radom misfire and 16589 P0205 Cyl 5 injector circut N83 Open. Prior to my trip I had the plug and coil pack for # 5 replaced and the injector from 5 switched to 6, but the codes stayed the same (still alawys 5)? Was there ever a know problem that could cause this? Any help would be appreciated as I love this car, but am very frustated at the moment and local dealer does not have a very good rep. Would you know anyone near Dayton OH that is very good ( a long shot, but thought I would ask)? Idle is always smooth at start up so far. I read about a bad Ignition Control Module on a 4cyl causing similar problems (always just one cyl) , does the s4 have one of these as well? If so were would it be located? Thanks in advance for any help.
-Mark
S4 has coil per cylinder but this fault hasn't followed the coil pack or the injector when swapped so suspect wiring fault or poor connection at the multi plug even though the connections appear fine replace them to eliminate
also check the injector connection View attachment stroblstecker.pdf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts