Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm currently looking at getting an S3, got around £12K to spend, but i'm after the facelift model with the higher bhp.

I read that the more power came in in 2002, but i've seen a few late 2001 facelifts being advertised as 225bhp models - is this the case? Was there every a phase 1.5 with a facelift but the slower engine? and how do I tell the difference (visually) between the two engines?

Thanks for your time
Chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
There isnt much difference speed wise between the two, (0. of a seconed)

From what I know, you can get the facelift model for late 2000 reg onwards. I should know, I drive a late 2000 S3 which has the facelift.

You cant tell the difference between both engines by looking at the car, they are exactly the same - late 2000 is when the facelift was introduced - 2001 is when the 225 Bhp S3 came out.

T-reg to W / early X reg is the old face model, late X early Y is when the facelift S3's came out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, new to this, but here goes!
As cozzie S3 states, you can't tell by looking at them, you need to look slightly deeper - look at the engine codes and the year of manufacture- here's a list of engine codes

1999 - 2001 pre facelift 210bhp = APY
2001 - on facelift 210bhp = AMK
2002 - on 225bhp = BAM

Personally i don't think it matters, cause you'll and up getting some sort of remap anyway!!
Mines a 2001 X plate - so it's the last of the 210's, but i've got a Star performance remap and full Milltek stainless exhaust inc 100cell race cats - running about 270bhp!! How gid!!

Gordon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mines a 2001 X - last of the 210's also.

Iv only had mine for 8 months, looking to remap the ECU, what would you suggest? So far I have only looked at Revo and Superchip?

Any help apprciated.

Cheers

Coz

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is alot of companys out there ,REVO, JABBA, APR, CUSTOM CODE, SUPERCHIP, STAR and many many more! Like I said, I have a STAR remap and haven't had any bother with it at all and it goes like the preverbial off a shovel!! Being lowered aswell it grips like nothing else i've ever driven, it still sometimes amazes me (and scares the hell out my girlfriend)- even a year on!!
I'm affraid it's a case of 'pays your money, takes your choice'!!! But look into what they can offer before paying up!

Hope this helps you

Cheers
Stoots

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cozzie_S3 said:
Cheers for the info mate, I'll do some research.

Thanks
Coz
Hi

Just seen that you may be wanting to remap your S3, I've had my S3 remaped by APR and have got to say "have it done" Its fantastic the car drives so much better ie: more responsive, much smoother reving and even a few MPG more (when your foot is not at the floor) but most of all the power increase is astonishing. I chose APR because of its reputation and addons, such as-

S3 210->262 BHP (270 ftlb Torque) Stage 1 Upgrade
S3 Stage 2 Upgrade (requires additional mods to take advans of software)

One Additional Program

Two Additional Programs

Three Additional Programs

Fault Code Erase/Throttle Body Alignment Option

Lockout Option

Anti-Theft Option

V-Tune (only available on certain vehicles-requires vagcom style OBD cable)

Fully Installed Cruise Control (When Fitted with EMCS)

-- Options available - Standard mode, Chipped 95 Octane, Chipped 98 Octane Optimax, Chipped Race Fuel

Chek out Awesome GTI Store UK - Audi A3 8L1

Ho ye and they do a 6 hour FREE trial, thats 6 hours ignition on time not 6 hours from when its put on. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY well worth a go, and I dont think any of the other suppiers offer this.

Regards
Andy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cheers mate, that sounds brilliant!

I'll check the website out, most people that have chipped their S3's are more
than happy with the result.

Cheers again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts